This site exists on your donations. Donate here
Switch theme
About Contact Log in Register!

351,278 users • 208,891 reviews
122,472 films • 18,489 TV series

Swamp Thing Teaser Trailer (2019) (608 views, 12 replies)

This topic has been closed.

God
Report comment
(5y)

+3

master
Report comment
(5y)

Originally, the Swamp Thing was a very minor character who then fell into near obscurity.

Then Alan Moore began writing and created a mythos in which he was a transformed being who took the body of a fallen botanist, and was embued as an plant elemental by the Parliament of Trees and acted as a protector of the Green and a champion for the Earth.

This was a remarkable achievement of enlightened wise benevolent environmentalism that the most conservative (like a Barry Goldwater proponent, most centrist, most leftist (like Wendel Barry) could resonate with.

A repressed fundamentalist Christian like a member of the Westboro Baptist church might be offended at some of it, but that is a minscule number of people in America.

Moore later wrote despicable comics, but here wrote admirable postmodern myths in graphic novels.

Now with the New52, it went off the rails. But those Moore issues, and the way others like Neil Gaiman used the character, are held up as some of the finest comic book writing ever made.
Read more

senior master
Report comment
(5y)

The original movie from the 80's was really good, it was a favorite and I still love it today! I love Adrienne Barbeau, she was great in "The Crate" in Creep show. I'll be looking forward to this. smiley

+2

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@manditoe It's a cult classic! I loved it, too.

For some reason I'm hoping for a "V For Vendetta" kinda "Swamp Thing". smiley

Report comment
(5y)

@manditoe the only way out, is through.

master
Report comment
(5y)

I was more of a man thing fan but apparently, both were a rip off of a 1944 comic book character

comicvine.gamespot.com/profile/m...

Hide 6 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@shabbapaul If one excises YHWH from the equation, then strictly from human civilization, then all myths arise at Sumer.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sumer

These is some evidence for Turkey as the origin point at Goebekili Tepe which I almost certainly mispelled.

This means Swamp Thing is likely derived from ancient times in the shape or form as a plant elemental in the shape of a man.

The likely origin is the world tree Axis mundi
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axis_mun...
Like the Vikings called Yggdrasil.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yggdrasi...

I think.

But that goes way way back.

It looks Sumer had the Earth Goddess wedded to the Tree of Life.
firstlegend.info/thetreeoflife.h...

Report comment
(5y)

@AnhedoniaNightmare The oldest known depiction of this Tree of Life is from Sumer circa 2500 BC.

Then you might look a Neolithic cave paitings like Lascaux in France. Then it's not organized and agrarian but hunter gatherers.

Report comment
(5y)

@AnhedoniaNightmare I say I say You haven’t mentioned the epic of Gilgamesh there boy

Report comment
(5y)

@shabbapaul Do you want me to do so? How does it relate?

Go for it. Make an analogy.

Report comment
(5y)

@AnhedoniaNightmare First known epic tale c2500 bc. Ruler of Sumer meets wood spirit who changes his attitudes and preconceptions. It’s all in there

Report comment
(5y)

@shabbapaul What is the wood spirit's name? I think you are wrong if you mean the cutting the largest cedar tree.

The Tree of Life is Huluppu and is associated with Ianna. That is living and the source of that theme of an all connected Tree Spirit that is living. That is the Axis Mundi

The former deals with a giant cedar forest and is cut dow.

Ianna ends up being the source of the tale of Persephone...possibly the source of Orpheus and Eurydice.

God
Report comment
(5y)

It was a good teaser.

This topic has been closed.

Similar forum topics

FEEDBACK

Join 351,278 users who love movies and TV shows!

208,891 reviews • 122,472 films • 18,489 TV series