This site exists on your donations. Donate here
Switch theme
About Contact Log in Register!

351,278 users • 208,705 reviews
122,388 films • 18,477 TV series

IT: CHAPTER 2 Teaser Trailer Concept (2019) James McAvoy (1561 views, 29 replies)

This topic has been closed.

senior master
Report comment
(5y)

IT: CHAPTER 2 Teaser Trailer Concept (2019) James McAvoy ...

+4

master
Report comment
(5y)

I recently read that Shyamalan buys up the rights to his films to prevent crass commercialization and any attempt to make future sequels. I wish more directors would do this. He prepared an arc through a trilogy so we have Unbreakable, Split, and Glass and then there will be no fourth film nor remakes.

Hollywood has powerful investors who produce products, not films anymore, but franchises, and in some sense, it gets even more grotesque as actors become unwilling to do risky projects to stretch themselves as it might hurt their own "brand".

There is no need for an It chapter two and frankly the first It was superior due to the charm of both the young cast who did a fine job with a very limited miniseries budget as well as a largely decent adult cast.

Watch the tv miniseries to see a wonderful and authentic scene of children building a dam and the true terror of the bathroom sink scene. That is seldom achieved in the horror genre because together both scenes caused resonnance with the viewers so we cared about the vulnerable kids as once we had similar experiences in our own childhood and in nightmares. Obviously Bill Skarsgard is immensely talented but why in a remake just to make a buck???
Read more

Hide 21 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@AnhedoniaNightmare Sadly Unbreakable, Split, and Glass are the only few good movies he's made.

Report comment
(5y)

@FemaleLotRfan83 Shyamalan made some stinkers which you have to expect if you are going to take risks. Personally I felt The Village was unfairly criticized and deserves a second look as does Lady in the Water. Signs and The Sixth Sense are exceptional films.

Devil, The Happening, and The Visit are flawed productions but are they as bad as the critics say in reality or did reviewers just pile on? Shyamalan made a heavily criticized ScyFy channel mockumentary on his life that critics and fans dennounced as a flat out misrepresentation and this burned a lot of reviewers and fans so much that they became haters.

You have to remember that Ridley Scott's Bladerunner was not considered true cinema for two decades though it slowly grew a cult following as did Legend. In a way he paints with light and dark as Caravaggio does on the canvas.

Report comment
(5y)

@AnhedoniaNightmare I respectfully disagree, and I'm a huge SK fan. smiley smiley

The original "It" was not filmed the way it should have been and I personally did NOT believe Tim Curry as Pennywise. He was good, but something was missing. He failed to convey the FACT that Pennywise is an ageless entity from space, not an evil entity from earth.

The remake is brilliant, even the upgrade from the '50s to the '80s was perfect choice. Bill Skarsgard IS Pennywise, finally.

I'm delighted they did it. Even SK wasn't happy with the original.

I LOVED the original Salem's Lot and watch it every year.

It's CREEPY as fecking hell!

The Green Mile was brilliant as well.

And then there is the oft overlooked "Silver Bullet".

As far as M Night goes, there is also "Signs" and "The Village", both of which I loved personally.
Read more

+2

Report comment
(5y)

@ Tim Curry did a fine job as Pennywise. He likewise was the Lucifer stand-in in the film Legend. Perhaps seeing that prior helped sell his performance?

It's clear that whatever Pennywise is in actuality, it's not anything earthly even in the original.

I'm most impressed in productions made on tiny fractions of blockbuster budgets and that do not require horribly expensive CGI to sell the illusion. What has occurred is Hollywood now is extremely limited in choosing what films will be made and then throws a mountain of cash at a production. With that strategy you get ruinous prodiuctions like The 47 Ronin which was an enormous flop, yet that story is one of the most popular stories(multiple films and miniseries) in Japan since the old Kabuki theater productions hundreds of years ago. Money is not the answer and a few years ago, several notable directors began sounding the alarm that such tactics if done in the 70s-90s would have prevented some of the famous beloved films ever made.
Read more

Report comment
(5y)

@AnhedoniaNightmare The 1990 It miniseries was filmed on a 12 million dollar budget.

The It film cost 35 million. Tobe fair and factoring in inflation then 12 million would require at least 24 million, so it's still significantly more money and largely for computerized special effects.

Report comment
(5y)

@AnhedoniaNightmare The maths is a little flawed when just using basic inflation figures. Many things have risen well above inflation over the last 20 years.

$35 million for part 1 of the IT films is a relatively low figure, especially when a large chunk of that budget is going to CGI.

The same year the original IT TV series was released Rocky V hit the cinemas - that had a budget of $42 million.
The Hunt for Red October - $30m
Gremlins 2 - $50m
Misery - £20m.

Only a few years later came The Stand, and still the budget was less than $30m for 6 hours of film.

Report comment
(5y)

@DemandingFemale I agree. There has to be some economic data as a baseline and actual number crunching. I plan on using the official inflation statistics so I will list the budget in my reviews, then in parenthesis, put the inflation adjusted budget.

Report comment
(5y)

@DemandingFemale Those figures always freak me out!

It's like monopoly money; it means nothing in my little world of struggling to pay the bills every month.

lol

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@ Yes. The primary issue in America is INFLATION as a major tax on everyone.

Say one made $45,000 in 2000. The equivalent today would be $65,863. For many people, they are losing money every year and not keeping up. There also are fewer jobs that offer that salary anymore.

Then take into account real estate affordability. That varies wildly where the median housing cost in my area might be $ 120,000 while it might be as high as 5 million elsewhere.

Take both into account and some making $300,000 are worse off where they live than others making $45,000.

How's this relevant? This affects film budgets, production and distribution costs, ticket and DVD and stream sales, etc.

All of that is on-topic.

Excessive budgets doom the creative process yet salaries must be fair to stimulate that creativity.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@AnhedoniaNightmare Actors are paid WAY too much.

That's a fact.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@ Well,the popular actors get enormous amounts,but as a corpus, an actor canalmost never make enough to do it as an occupation even with regular local programming or frequent local production in theatre.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@AnhedoniaNightmare Isn't THAT a huge part of the problem that all of us pay for, in one way or another?

Actors (the "famous" ones) are treated like superheros, but they are quite fallible, as we all are. They make a ton of lolly, and yet that income is not reflected anywhere in the average persons life anywhere on the planet.

Blah blah blah.

Report comment
(5y)

@ Being a popular actor typically is a curse. I doubt you would want to:
1. Sacrifice your privacy.
2. Need constant bodyguards.
3. Never feel safe without enormous money being expended.
4. Be daily evaluated on your weight, musculature, youthfulness, clothing style, apparent age, etc.

Being a popular actor means drug/alcohol abuse even affecting your family. Threats. Sudden job loss. Loss of fame"/popularity. Loss of fortune. Multiple divorces. Theft by managers. Etc.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@AnhedoniaNightmare Hence why I'd never want anyone to know my face or my real name.

Those are NOT enough reasons for that kind of power in this world (that you listed).

Money IS the root of all evil, is it not?

EDIT: LOVE OF MONEY IS THE ROOT OF ALL EVIL!! smiley

smiley

Report comment
(5y)

@ Nope. The Bible says the "love" of money is the root of all evil. Likewise one cannot serve Mammon (a demonic god associated with sacrifice equating to the acquisition of wealth in a Faustian bargain) and serve YHWH.

Now one theory in theology is fallen angels ie demons are other false gods set up by Lucifer. Thus Mammon is a fallen angel.

The film Sinister used this theological theory as does Hereditary as does the Exorcist. It is a constant paradigm in supernatural horror.

It is implied in The Endless that some demon god (fallen angel) has trapped the cult so they will endlessly be resacrificed but in exchange have immortal eternal youth.

However in IT, the being is an extraterrestrial as I recall who feeds on fear.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/It_(nove...

"Tell your friends I am the last of a dying race. The only survivor of a dying planet. I have come to rob all the women... rape all the men... and learn to do the Peppermint Twist!"
Read more

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@AnhedoniaNightmare I forgot that first bit, though I meant (implied) it, but since this is the written word, I flubbed it up.

People do L O V E money, much more than anything other feeling or person, or living creature or anything else.

Yucky.

Well, IT feeds on the terror of young children, not fear in general or specifically. That's how IT stays alive.

Good examples.

Report comment
(5y)

@AnhedoniaNightmare Very interesting points!

I've been reading SK from the time I was able. I believe he uses the religuous zealot in all of his writing to greater or lessor degrees, in everything.

Although it's quite possible that Hollyweird may have attempted a Jesus analogy in "The Green Mile" and "The Stand" it was definitely already there in those writings, and in ALL of SKs writings, from my perspective. It's part and parcel to the way he writes, full stop. His protagonists are always under pressure from zealots; "Delores Claiborne", "Silver Bullet", "The Tommy Knockers", "The Dead Zone" etc. etc. all carry that theme. Hollyweirday may or may not enhance that to an extreme for ratings or money, but SK originates it because that's his style.

I've read and re-read all of SKs novellas, books, short stories and even own them all (some 1st editions that are now too tattered to be worth much, lol). I'm scarily like "a number one fan" (haha not really, just taking the opportunity to use another SK zealot from "Misery").
Read more

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@ Stephen King writes about a vaguely Christian format that is actually more like a Persian form of dualism. That is Zorastrianism.
www.iranicaonline.org/articles/du...

In reality, he developed an entire personal theology that is nothing like Christianity.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiver...

Report comment
(5y)

@AnhedoniaNightmare Interesting links. Thank you.

The Wiki one I already "knew" by "reading him" for long.

I actually once listened to a broadcast that he did about it. Though, "developed" is the best way of describing something that he never intentionally set out to do; it just evolved through the years, and now as a seasoned writer for many years, he can look back in retrospect and convey what transpired.

Report comment
(5y)

@ I very much agree. I LOVE this IT remake. I still like the original but find the new one far superior. The creepiness of the clown is so much better imo. Also, the effects that are able to be used 30 years later make the viewing pleasure that much better imo not worse as some feel. Of course this is just my opinion, others will have their own.

+2

Report comment
(5y)

@rickgrimesrocks Absolutely.

I love discussing different perspectives.

It's good to consider things and hopefully learn a bit.

For me, anyways! smiley

+2

senior guru
Report comment
(5y)

Part 2 is absolutely necessary!

I was dubious when the IT remake was announced MANY years ago. It had been in pre-production more than once before it was finally made.

It's always a gamble when remaking fan favourites - and a double-gamble trying to adapt anything written by SK to screen. Some payoff, many don't.
A good example of the latter are the 2 remakes of Carrie, both completely unnecessary.

On the flip side is The Shining. Yes, people love the Kubrick movie, but he did not do justice to the book, not at all! The mini series from '97 is far superior for many reason. It is a must for fans of the book - and a definite must before the release of the upcoming Doctor Sleep movie if you haven't read it.

Reboots/remakes can be a great thing when budgets and new technology allow the original source material to better come to life. I was thrilled with what they did with IT, and I'm really looking forward to Part 2.

It could have been a whole lot worse - They could have made a really sh*tty adaptation of The Dark Tower. ...
Read more

master
Report comment
(5y)

It's my firm belief that while long ago, television used to be a lesser medium, serialized programming allows actors to stay in character long enough that they are very comfortable in their roles. They do the work so the portrayal is true to the writings though limited by the script and direction and limitations of the product costs. So a story can easily be conveyed by 45 minute episodes x ten episodes over a season. Then an option to continue.

Likely that is streaming.

That is actually less expensive then a trilogy plus does not tie up cast members for YEARS.

This will produce the quality and acquire investors as there is less risk. It lends itself to binge-watching.

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@AnhedoniaNightmare TV shows are hella expensive to make too - and many turn flogging dead horses into an art form in itself.

They can cost anywhere from $1m to $25m per episode! Some run for 10 episodes, others for more than 20 in a season.

Using a couple of recent SK adaptations as examples:

The Mist movie ($18m)
The Mist 10 part awful TV series - $24m.

Haven - 5 season, 78 episodes. Average episode budget was approximately $1.7m.

Under The Dome - 3 season, 38 episodes. $3m per episode.

At the end of each season there is always a period of 'will they/won't they renew', that can often keep actors, writers and production crew in limbo and unable to commit to other work. They can take many more months to film than movies (on average 6/8m vs 2m)

As much as I love to binge a good show, I don't want to have to sit through 10+ episodes that contain more filler than story.
Read more

Report comment
(5y)

@DemandingFemale We largely agree based upon what you wrote. A serialization is no guarantee especially is "bloated" by filler episodes.

Frankly what happens is an actor develops more fame, and this gives them economic power if they so chose. The agent of the actor can insist on "bottle" episodes as filler to develop the character and please the fans. So a fanbase can actually be partially responsible for empowering this bloat when actually if there is a "canon", as there clearly is with Stephen King's works, then no bottle episodes are necessary.

Alternatively, say with Atwood's Handmaid's Tale, there is limited canon and so the writers went full bore bloat to fill up multiple episodes.

If the writing team is poorly organized, these bottle episodes began creating their own canon which can conflict with established canon. The most egregious example is Star Trek Discovery which is now called STD (ie sexually transmitted disease) as the ardent fans loathe it.
Read more

master
Report comment
(5y)

Is this the new sequel of the It movie?

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@MarieCateyes No, it's Part Two of the remake.

Report comment
(5y)

@MarieCateyes ^^What Rav said...

It's not the actual trailer either.

It's a fan-made concept trailer.

This topic has been closed.

Similar forum topics

FEEDBACK

Join 351,278 users who love movies and TV shows!

208,705 reviews • 122,388 films • 18,477 TV series