This site exists on your donations. Donate here
Switch theme
About Contact Log in Register!

351,278 users • 208,645 reviews
122,377 films • 18,475 TV series

Sleeper Hit of 2018 (812 views, 4 replies)

This topic has been closed.

guru
Report comment
(5y)

Hey guys! Once again the weather has turned the ground all hoary and cold and I find myself unwilling to go outside. So, I'm here to bug you guys! So a sleeper movie is a title that becomes successful, gradually, often with little promotion. I always thought it was a really good movie that no one talked much about or not a lot of people knew about. Everyone knows about the blockbusters from 2018 and we've seen them. Tell me your favorite sleeper movie from 2018 (and why you like it) so that we can all have something good and new to watch.

God
Report comment
(5y)

That'll take a wee bit of thinking for me, and even then I'm not sure I'll get it right for you.

The first one I can think of is "Woman Walks Ahead" with Jessica Chastain. I believe it was released in 2018, but completed in 2017.

I really enjoyed it, despite horrible reviews.

+1

senior master
Report comment
(5y)

A sleeper for me is one that I have heard nothing about (which is quite difficult nowadays) so there is no hype (good or bad). This has happened twice in 2018 and I was more than pleasantly surprised with the smile on my face come the closing titles.

The first was Unsane with my favourite actress at the moment (Claire Foy) and director (Steven Soderbergh), who has spent more time recently in the world of television. It questions one's reality/sanity while at the same time exuding claustrophobia and tension. And I later found out it was filmed/recorded on an iPhone which I hadn't realised.

The second was Upgrade which is probably the best sci/fi since Inception for me. Low budget, unknown actors and word-of-mouth marketing, this continues in the vein of Black Mirror (effects of technology on humans in the future). Great story and entertaining script especially the dialogues between the protagonist and his "stem" alter ego. ...
Read more

+2

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@..box.. Definitely Upgrade and Unsane!

Yay, Box, for adding those!

I'm still confused on the definition. lolololol

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@ It's a BBoB thing RB smiley

This topic has been closed.

Similar forum topics

FEEDBACK

Join 351,278 users who love movies and TV shows!

208,645 reviews • 122,377 films • 18,475 TV series