About Contact Log in Register!

351,278 users • 209,202 reviews
122,584 films • 18,497 TV series

My first book (725 views, 26 replies)

This topic has been closed.

master
Report comment
(5y)

The very first book I picked out to read. Even as a child I hated musicals but the book was fabulous.

+7

senior master
Report comment
(5y)

What a great start Liz ... Did you manage to read all of them?

My first memories of reading a book (I now realise) became a life long passion for the detective novel, film and series (Sherlock Holmes, Hercule Poirot etc) ...

+3

Hide 3 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@..box.. No I haven't ever even seen that one lol I want to read it lol

Report comment
(5y)

@fortunate1 Not sure if you are referring to the other WoOZ books or the one above. I put a link on your wall for this one.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@..box.. Thank you very much.

God
Report comment
(5y)

This gem published in 1961 was my first pick.

+3

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(5y)

@dramucom Nice!

+1

senior guru
Report comment
(5y)

The one I remember the most from my young childhood is this collection of poems from the father of Pooh Bear.

Now We Are Six - A. A. Milne

This one is still recited by my mother.

[SPOILER] ...
Read more

+3

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(5y)

@DemandingFemale That's cute!

God
Report comment
(5y)

The first book I remember reading was a collection of stories from Hans Christian Andersen.

+1

God
Report comment
(5y)

These were my childhood favorites
Teeny💋

+2

master
Report comment
(5y)

TRUTH: Little Black Sambo was tucked in my diaper bag. SAMBO was the grouping of first letters in my families names, and thus the name of our boat as well. I remember REALLY liking that tiger chasing the little boy around a palm tree... but, yeah... we aren't gonna go anywhere near THAT book. ((May it RIP)) On the lighter side of favorites however -- I hauled Kahlil Gibran's "Leaves of Grass" around during my hippy-teens, backed by several english papers written on topic. It stands as a treasured favorite that still moves me profoundly. ((I bequeathed that tattered hardcover book to my son who then reviewed it during his school years. Still cherished. xx0x0xx))

+3

master
Report comment
(5y)

I used to read all her series but this was the first one. I don't read them anymore but they got me started on my love for reading.

+4

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(5y)

@rickgrimesrocks I read them all, I have paperbacks of the entire series.

+2

guru
Report comment
(5y)

The earliest books I remember, beyond the Dr. Seuss books (did you know most of us have been pronouncing his name wrong, look it up) are The Spaceship Under The Apple Tree, and Andy Buckram's Tin Men

These led me to Robert A Heinlein and a lifetime love of science fiction.
A gift for sci fi readers. Baen.com, go to the free library, and there are some greats available for free download or read online. The 1st 2 books in the best, imo, aliens invade Eatrh series ever by Johnny Ringo, The 1st 2 books in the biggest, they claim, selling series, The Honorverse, female protagonist, by David Drake, the 1st book in the largest Alternate History Series ever, 1632, between the 1632, Ring of Fire,and Grantville Gazette books, all interrelated, there are over 130 books in the series. The Tank Lords, Andre Norton, many good reads.

+1

Hide 3 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@Wander I too am a huge Heinlein fan, what a true talent.

Having read many of his works 2 in particular stand out "Stranger in a Strange Land" and "Time Enough for Love"

Good stuff!

However, if you asked who my favorite author was, that honor would belong to John Steinbeck !

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@mrkim56 Travels With Charlie is one of my favorites.

Report comment
(5y)

@Wander That's definitely a good one!

My all time favorite of his was one he wrote to finally quiet his critics who claimed he couldn't write anything set outside California.

"The Winter of Our Discontent" sure disproved that :>)

master
Report comment
(5y)

yes,i loved all the old science fiction too--my dad read all the pulp magazines/.i was supposed to read ALL THE OZ BOOKS when got money,i told myself. there is one i never got or read,supposed to be"the Oz party book."??(forgot name.never got it.then then i failed at most goals.--got old!!. smiley whether or not you do anything right,you still get OLD.--oh,and people blame you for things you have no control over. smiley

God
Report comment
(5y)

My first book didn't have a proper cover anymore. In Ireland we actually were too poor to have any of that with hand me downs. (I'm not joking.) They were falling to bits but were all the more precious to me.

The first book I can ever remember reading with a proper cover was James and the Giant Peach. I slept with that book. It was like someone knew what it was like to be an orphan and it felt like a letter of hope to me.

+5

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(5y)

@ Have you ever read Revolting Rhymes by Dahl?

It was (and still is) one of my favourites.

+1

guru
Report comment
(5y)

Can't say I truly remember the 1st book I read so instead I'll fall back to the 1st one I can remember that really impressed me which was The Outsiders in about 4th grade. As a city kid it told tales I knew I'd never otherwise know about life in a city far larger than the one I called home.

Lo and behold, 30 or 40yrs later it even became a movie smiley

+3

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@mrkim56 one of my favorite movies as a kid. I would go to school and try to figure out who were soshes and who were greasers.

+2

Report comment
(4y)

@mrkim56 Funny I was gonna mention that book because my one teacher had our class read that book as well as Rumble Fish! smiley

master
Report comment
(5y)

The little vampire by Angela Sommer-Bodenburg. Loved it so much that I brought a new copy a few years ago just to relive those childhood memories.

Butchered in films and the author did milk it for all it's worth with, if memory serves, 15 English sequels but the first few are just magical to me.

+3

master
Report comment
(5y)

I've been a lifelong reader, started when I was 4. Is it weird I can't remember my first? (After "Dick and Jane", of course...)
But I remember spending some serious time with the "How and Why Wonder Books". God, I loved that series, taught me all of my first "science facts" before I went to school.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_and_Wh...
And this book, in particular, convinced me I wanted to be a paleontologist when I grew up (age 6)
images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/...

+1

senior master
Report comment
(4y)
(edited)

I can't remember my 1st book as I was read and read many when little(so very long ago smiley )
I will mention My son Joshua's favorite book that he made me read over and over(over 25 yrs ago) smiley It was called "Once Upon A Potty"
Here is a new sound one youtu.be/GvbyL-ehF_o

This topic has been closed.

Similar forum topics

FEEDBACK

Join 351,278 users who love movies and TV shows!

209,202 reviews • 122,584 films • 18,497 TV series