This site exists on your donations. Donate here
Switch theme
About Contact Log in Register!

351,278 users • 208,864 reviews
122,457 films • 18,488 TV series

Mental health awareness month. Please offer tips on how to care for one's mental health (338 views, 29 replies)

This topic has been closed.

master

+9

master

Many people struggle with mental health issues at some point in there life. Some people don't know how to deal with those issues. Due to the stigma attached to it people rarely reach out to others to talk about what they are dealing with and suffer in silence. Some their entire lives. Mental health awareness month is fast approaching. It is in May. I thought it would be a great opportunity to discuss options on how to deal with those issues. I'm not just talking about Mental illness, this includes grief, trama, Ptsd.etc.

+3

Hide 1 reply...

master

I know one thing that helps with dealing with my mental health and that is cardio exercise. It releases endorphins and it's a great release for tension.

+3

Hide 6 replies...
Report comment
(1y)

@💛Yellow_rose1💛 Great tip, thanks for sharing that. For me, meditation helps a lot - nothing fancy, just a few minutes each day trying to quiet my mind the best I can.

+3

@superb you are more than welcome. I am encouraging others to share tips on what helps with them or what they may have heard from others. I want this to be a sharing space to help everyone. All of us need to take care of our minds as well as our bodies. Thanks for your post

+3

Report comment
(1y)

@💛Yellow_rose1💛 Yes, great idea to start this tread. Looking forward to more tips on what helps others. smiley

+1

@superb yes me too and too spread awareness that mental illness or problems should never be judged or people to fear. The stigma has to stop as it prevents people from reaching out and getting the help they need

+1

Report comment
(1y)

@💛Yellow_rose1💛 Yes, try to give people the benefit of the doubt that they are doing the best they can

+1

@superb also thanks for caring about this topic. I'm hoping more people will discuss the topic as the day goes on

+2

senior guru
Report comment
(1y)

+4

Hide 3 replies...

@SimonM smiley smiley Thanks Simon, it is a good idea to adopt an emotional support dog. I think my dog has more problems than myself. In other words, my dog should be in this meme

+3

Report comment
(1y)

@💛Yellow_rose1💛 I think an emotional support lizard is a good idea, you'll never get looked at like that no matter what you say to them. smiley

+2

Report comment
(1y)
+2

master
Report comment
(1y)

Hey , nice you bring up the topic. smiley
First of all it`s pretty normal to feel bad sometimes, lifes a challenge as well as it is beautiful, so periods of feeling not good or stressed are pretty normal.
But how do i detect if i surpassed the thin line between a "normal" down and a compromised health?

A good friend of mine, a psychiatrist, used to ask these quite handy questions:
a) do i have this feeling, OR does the feeling HAVE ME?
b) do i feel something is wrong (normal) OR everybody else tells me something is wrong, but i feel great? (usually a very very bad sign)
c) did the "not-normal-feeling" last longer than 6-8 weeks without any improvement?

That -of course- are just some simple, but maybe helpful lines. they might e.g. help someone to pull the brakes in time, before sliding into a full grown burn out or depression.

Unfortunately the human basket of mental diseases is brimming.
As a young lawyer i worked as a legal guardian with more than 40 people to care for, amongst them all major sorts of disorders, addictions etc. as listed in ICD -10 (V)
Read more

+4

Hide 1 reply...

@Adrian∞ Thanks Adrian, you have some very intuitive insight into mental health and you weighting in on this topic has left me grateful. Thanks once again

+2

master
Report comment
(1y)

not healthy. AT ALL

Hide 1 reply...

master
Report comment
(1y)

Before my stroke i had times i was down
but never really the dark space despite a very bad upbringing
9 month after my stroke so many things affected me in a very short period
and i was flung down into a dark hole....
i seriously am not sure how long time past, but about 2 years
only by being threatened by eviction did i come back to reality

finding something you love to do,
no matter if others find it silly or not appropriate...do it!!
if i could id be roller skating down the streets (not rollerblades)
i always loved how it made me feel
i think im gonna put on my headphones and dance in the streets tonight

+7

Hide 3 replies...
Report comment
(1y)

@🌞Suisen🌞

roller skates - heroine edition
smiley hope u will use em some day

+1

@🌞Suisen🌞 dancing and singing is also a huge release. Great idea. A major health issue such as a stroke can upend the person's life and their families. I'm sad you had/have to go through that. Keep up with physiotherapy it is an important tool to recovery. Thanks for your post

+2

@🌞Suisen🌞 by the way I miss roller skating too. Those were some of my best memories

+2

senior master
Report comment
(1y)

+2

Hide 1 reply...

@DontSpeak So, so true well said. What really bothers me is when someone does take their life they say how selfish it was. Not realizing that when someone is debilitated by mental illness, they feel like a burden to everyone around them and that they are doing everyone a favor

+4

senior master
Report comment
(1y)

What others said, especially Adrian about finding someone to be together. I think this the hardest quest and best drug for anything. A life not shared is not a life, some say. But in the same time the wrong person can be disastrous and can destroy any of us so I moderate my thinking into this: A good thing is to have the right person beside you. I wish that luck

Good docs and shrinks all over the world, don't hesitate to switch docs and shrinks if something is not right. Worst problems i see around is when the ppl have to follow a health system that confines into certain shrinks and docs and they have to follow a system that unfortunately doesn't help in frequency, efficiency and privacy the patients. For a person in difficult mental disorders or even in lighter sometimes, the connection and dependency with the docs is a much more serious subject than from the rest of the specialties. And there i seen more abuse and desperation.

Stigma in such cases is like racism. We are not racists at all but in given time we become one and later hate our judgement and the situation that made us become like this or think like this. ...
Read more

+4

senior master
Report comment
(1y)

This is something we should all read at least once a week . . .

dosmovies.com/forum/thread/Liste...

+1

senior master
Report comment
(1y)

+1

Hide 3 replies...

@Bread&Circuses Oh wow my Mom used to say that to me when I was clearly very ill. Like hospital time ill. I was basically in a catatonic state and she expected me to just snap out of it

+2

Report comment
(1y)

@💛Yellow_rose1💛 That clip is from "Moonstruck" and she's addressing the Nic Cage character being very much in love with her whilst she's engaged to be married to another man.

It's a really good movie, actually!

Report comment
(1y)

@💛Yellow_rose1💛 That works more times than it doesn't as far as mental and emotional health goes. aka Tough Love.
Follow through required.

This topic has been closed.

Similar forum topics

FEEDBACK

Join 351,278 users who love movies and TV shows!

208,864 reviews • 122,457 films • 18,488 TV series