This site exists on your donations. Donate here
Switch theme
About Contact Log in Register!

351,278 users • 208,794 reviews
122,426 films • 18,483 TV series

Hidden dislike numbers (5500 views, 183 replies)

This topic has been closed.

admin
Report comment
(5y)

Just for experiment I've hidden all dislike scores from comments. Now you will not see -10, the lowest now is zero. Similar to YouTube comments.

From the Internet:

A feature that expresses negative content just incites senseless tension and unescessary conflict. People already butt heads constantly, and that’s without a dislike button. Plus, there’s already a way to dislike something—simply don't like it. You can always express your feelings further by commenting.

+23

Hide 34 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@Dr.Evil Nice move.

Report comment
(5y)

@Dr.Evil Feel free to get rid of the Dislike icon completely.

Report comment
(5y)

@◦•●◉✿♡Momof3αηgєℓѕ♡✿◉●•◦ i agree shouldnt have one without the other...i hit thumbs down it registers as 👍 <br> thumbs up.....misleading.

+4

Report comment
(5y)

@LesStrater I think it's only fair to include it if there's going to be a "like" icon.

+13

Report comment
(5y)

@LesStrater I agree wholeheartedly. <br> <br> The thumbs down icon is abused and will continue to be.# <br> <br> I feel that hiding it is contrary to having a community. <br> <br> I am not for it. <br> <br> However, amending it so that each member only gets ONE vote either way, eliminates the excessive abuse on either side. <br> <br> That seems more proactive and less reactive. <br> <br> Hiding it is reactive and defeats the purpose of actually having a vote for those who respect the rules that are here to protect and value all members. <br> <br> Again, with this new feature, the abuse will continue.

+4

Report comment
(5y)

@Dr.Evil Excellent, I always thought is was a hate magnet.

Report comment
(5y)

@Dr.Evil Love this

Report comment
(5y)

@Dr.Evil Good call

Report comment
(5y)

@Dr.Evil Thanks. Loving the site so far.

+2

Report comment
(5y)

@Dr.Evil Dr.Evil <br> <br> First and foremost thank you for everything you do to make this web page successful, popular and possible, much respect and many blessings your way. <br> <br> Have you ever considered making the voting feature not anonymous similar to facebook? <br>

Report comment
(5y)

@Necroclysm It's not anonymous. We can show who liked/disliked a comment.

+3

Report comment
(5y)

@Dr.Evil Big thumbs up to this. Thank you again for all your hard work and for making this site as enjoyabke as it is. Thank you!!!!

Report comment
(5y)

@Dr.Evil There is nothing wrong with your computer. We control the transmission. We control the horizontal. We control the vertical. We can make it flutter. We can turn it into a soft blur, or sharpen it to crystal clarity. We control all that you see and here. We will take you from the inner mind to the `Outer 2Movies`!! Sorry! Could`nt resist the `WE` part of your answer. :) HAVE A HAPPY!!

Report comment
(5y)

@PAUL58 The Twilight Zone?

Report comment
(5y)

@PureVodka🍺 1963 The original opening of the show `The Outer Limits`!! Give it a try English Cuzin. Your sure to Love it. The 1st episode `Galaxyman` will have you hooked. HAVE A HAPPY!!! Hope Dr. Evil ain`t P.O.ed.

Report comment
(5y)

@PAUL58 Nice catch...lol Tried to like it but it stayed @ zero. I thought your humor quite relevant ;)

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@Dr.Evil Sorry if I'm being a noob, but I'm not understanding, we can still hit the dislike button but we can't see how many dislikes? Is that correct? TY

Report comment
(5y)

@Dr.Evil Excellent. I'm certain that will thwart those who have nothing better to do than create multiple false personas just to down vote those they don't like. It's immature and a waste of time. Thanks a million Doc.

Report comment
(5y)

@Dr.Evil I think this is so misleading and people need to stop being so sensitive because the get the thumb down/dislike button hit on there comments.Everyone do not have to agree with what whoever is saying If a person dont hit the like button that mean they just dont agree thats it. Smh I dont comment often but I read a lot and most of the time I see the same people so I think you might wanna look into that the people with the smart nasty and argumentative comment the annoying people and the know it alls who feel the need to respond to everything they might be the problem not the dislike button please believe taking the dislike button will only cause problem ijs Seems like people get off on likes me myself dont care if you can show how likes a person gets you can and should show the dislike I mean really people act like the are getting paid off likes if thats case please fill me in <br>

+3

Report comment
(5y)

@Dr.Evil Just remove comments all together and dumb things down to just the star rating or simple likes and dislikes. Since many can't even grasp the way the star rating works.

+3

Report comment
(5y)

@Sincera Remove the comments all together, you mean the forums than?

Report comment
(5y)

@PureVodka🍺 I do think my comment implies that I am talking about comments. Like on the shows/movies. <br> The forums are something different. Since the op refers to Youtube I assumed this was only for comments. Also never visited the forums so don't know how stuff works there

Report comment
(5y)

@Sincera No it did not, the forums or full of comments. :)

Report comment
(5y)

@PureVodka🍺 this confuses me. <br> <br> Did my comment not imply I was talking about the comments under shows? <br> Or are the forums not something different? <br> Last this could be a no towards it not being for comments on shows/movies.. <br> <br> Besides that I actually don't care.. hardly read comments on shows and this confusion is the reason I avoid forums as much as possible. <br> <br> Now gonna search for a way these messages in my screen don't pop up so I won't hop in on a forum by accident again.

+3

Report comment
(5y)

@Sincera You can change the settings for pop-up message box. Have a nice day. :)

Report comment
(5y)

@Dr.Evil Good thinking Batman.

Report comment
(5y)

@Dr.Evil Agree, too many people use the dislike button as a weapon to hide opinions they simply don't like. 0 should be the lowest number possible, and if there is an actual problem with the comment there is a flag button.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@deiosa Got to be one of the best post about this so for lol.

Report comment
(5y)

@PureVodka🍺 I've had it happen to me often on other sites. "OMG HOW DARE YOU SAY THAT ABOUT MY FAV GAME!@!!1!1!1!!"

Report comment
(5y)

@Dr.Evil This is like having your Ying without your Yang. It upsets the balance. gotta have bad to have good, etc etc. downvotes should just be shown like everywhere else. meh. Hilarious the crap still going on here. Bet it's all the same people too..

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@Melted~Dreams same people* Yep the haters or out in force...they will not wake up feeling any better in the morning after downvoting post out of spite and HATRED towards people.

Report comment
(5y)

@Dr.Evil Brilliant move. Thanks a million for that! :)

Report comment
(5y)

@Dr.Evil Is this experiment still in progress or have you come to a conclusion yet in regards to this whole like/dislike voting/thumbs feature?

God
Report comment
(5y)

I would even get rid of the amount of numbers on display and perhaps keep the thumbs both of them and only inform of you got a like, like it sort of is already, just leaking my brain while here:) <br> <br> This is a good change you have done, only troubles on youtube is people get away with such awful things said and voted up like its ok to think and act this way........here is hoping this is more better here and we are better people than those on Ytube smiley smiley smiley

+3

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@KiaZi Actually YouTube is fairer than this system. Up votes only.

+2

Report comment
(5y)

@ginger666 Hi
Its a fair system, on the surface, reporting there actually works if you know what to do, never tried it on here as we are not a scratch on the evil that goes on on youtube, just opinions here mostly.

Although youtube does have a thumbs down, but it never seems to work, ever in my experience in the last few years, real thankful a typical youtube crowd is not here to scream and threat anyone not on a golden understanding with them:)

senior master
Report comment
(5y)

Thank you so much for always making improvements. Can you fix the notifications from blocked users? I have blocked members who I do not want to communicate with that have also blocked me but are still trying to interact through my forum game posts and I get notifications. I do not understand why members block then interact. It defeats the purpose and is like being harassed - just crazy weirdo creepy - stalker like.

+4

Hide 8 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@3UN01A Soon...

+3

Report comment
(5y)

@Dr.Evil Much appreciated, thank you Doc :)

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@Dr.Evil Doc, if games are for EVERYONE then the people who block should just ignore them. Are you suggesting that blocked members by ONLY certain persons should not be allowed to play games?

+6

Report comment
(5y)

@ I agree with you, games should be for everyone to play. It's kind of pre-schoolish to be like "no, YOU can't play the game bc I don't like you." This is really getting ridiculous IMO.

+7

Report comment
(5y)

@rickgrimesrocks That's why this is a social site and not just for films as it states on the bottom on this page somewhere. I am glad you typed this because when I first joined here 4 months ago, I did not see any Forum Threads for Word Games so I opened about 5 of them for members to interact, play, make new friends and just plain fun. However, it turned into a clique of trolls who would purposely not follow the rules and leave rude comments to other players. So I just closed them. Since other members now have opened other games too, I was recently playing along in one and was attacked in text just as you said above "you cn't play here" it was so bad that a Mod/admin had to tell this person to "show some respect" and had to delete a large amount of insulting comments (breaking TOS) so I decided to never post in any of THAT members Forum Threads ever again. ...
Read more

Report comment
(5y)

@3UN01A I don't know what incidents or person you are speaking of. I don't play the word games often. But yes, it is ridiculous that it has to be that way. I just wish everyone would be mature, stop finger pointing, name calling and enjoy this site bc it's great.

+6

Report comment
(5y)

@rickgrimesrocks Where are these "word games" located? I must be missing something...

+2

Report comment
(5y)

@3UN01A +20 upvotes, wishing there was a FUKYEAH button too.

+3

God
Report comment
(5y)

I don't mind how it is, being downvoted gives me a picture of someone smiley + smiley = smiley , but i think some others who say the same as me, do get upset about being downvoted. <br> The bottom line is: This feature has been added because of haters. smiley <br> <br> People will still be able to tell the diff, handy for new posters maybe. :)

+4

Hide 8 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@PureVodka🍺 Majority of members have been complaining and wanting the down-vote removed as it's mostly abused. I am glad it's gone hope it stays gone.

Report comment
(5y)

@3UN01A It's not gone.

+5

Report comment
(5y)

@PureVodka🍺 well it doesn't show the -10 so same thing to me lol

Report comment
(5y)

@3UN01A Please, do not speak on my behalf. I have never had a negative experience on this site. I'm sure a timely appeal to the duty moderator is the best course of action because it deals with the offending individual rather than forcing a change on the site that effects everyone. There's no doubt that there are some longtime users on here that get a bit rambunctious and bomb each other on inappropriate sites ((( you know who you are)))and I agree that they should be pulled up for that but there are hundreds of thousands of users here and it is an impossibility that you will find all of them agreeable all the time and a few that are definitely 'an acquired taste'. smiley

+3

Report comment
(5y)

@saxon901 Nice post. smiley :)

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@saxon901 I did consider using the word carefully as it's been the majority of active members who have been wanting this removed or changed. However, if my comments get the quieter members to speak up and share their opinions like you just did, that's great. Thank you for the feedback and much appreciate everything you typed ;)

+2

Report comment
(5y)

@3UN01A Im one of the quieter members and I really dont care if my comments get down voted.Sometimes I have used the down vote button if I dont agree but it seem that some people just want likes and thats not always going to happen.So to me to whine and cry about it is kind of childish.And as someone else said if your getting rude comment move on some people will argue back in forth then cry victim. Sometimes you just have to ignore people

+9

Report comment
(5y)

@detroitvonna I don't mind votes but when they are being abused by members, it defeats their purpose. My issues have already been resolved though, so I am content now that I have blocked the clique of members who were abusing the votes and openly admitting to it. With constantly down-voting everything and anything I left a comment on. So now I longer been receiving the abused down-votes so all is well. I have not been the only member having to deal with this or "complaining" about it either. When someone disagrees , that's great as we are not supposed to always agree but there is a manner to go about that. When someone down-votes your comment just because they don't like you or are trolling.. or leave nasty rude comments... or are breaking TOS... that's an issue that needs to be addressed and it has. This site has been losing members due to all the childish nonsense and hate. ...
Read more

Report comment
(5y)

People have a right not to like something! Labeling people haters is in itself hateful. The constant effort to sanitize everything by covering up dislikes is dishonest. There's enough of that crap already. Why here?

+21

Hide 15 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@PuppetMaster I noticed you're a new member, welcome aboard!

Report comment
(5y)

@PuppetMaster If your a new member to the site, you will have no idea what i'm going on about. <br> <br> The *Haters* or out there. ;) <br> youtu.be/rVzdoHNcv7k <br> <br>

Report comment
(5y)

@PureVodka🍺 Because 'haters' are exclusive to TM? Like no one has any experience from the rest of the internet? lol <br> <br> Disliking somebody because of their beliefs, behaviour and attitude isn't being a 'hater' - it's just called 'having an opinion'.

+11

Report comment
(5y)

@DemandingFemale When people downvote a members post, not because of what it says but because of who posted it = the actions of a HATER. <br> <br> """Disliking somebody because of their beliefs, behaviour and attitude isn't being a 'hater' - it's just called 'having an opinion'""" What? Come again.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@PureVodka🍺 So what? If I wanna "hate" someone or something it's my right.

+9

Report comment
(5y)

@PureVodka🍺 Is the number of like that important to you asking for a friend lol

+6

Report comment
(5y)

@detroitvonna No it is not, which i've said in other " older " forum post. :)

Report comment
(5y)

@PuppetMaster Hi, the problem is not down voting it's why, some one thanked a member for reminding him of a TV show he couldn't remember name of and got down voted for that, down voting is anonymous leaving a comment of agreeing or disagreeing on a show is not.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@ijaija I concur.

Report comment
(5y)

@PuppetMaster I totally agree! Our society has become so sensitive ("Millennials")... I actually like having both up & down voting, it helps me decide if a flick or show is worth my valuable time. The only thing I dislike about comments are when people give out "spoilers" and don't realize when they have done it nor flag it as a "spoiler".

+2

Report comment
(5y)

@PTSD✞ Yes i agree with you on the spoiler thing.

+1

senior master
Report comment
(5y)

I think that if the up and down votes remain, maybe do not make it anonymous ;) let members know who is down or up voting them so all the paranoia can go away ;)

Hide 20 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@3UN01A Great idea, bring them out of the shadows into the light.

Report comment
(5y)

@springfield45 That idea has been mentioned more then once of late, i be happy with it.

@PureVodka🍺 Yup, I brought it up under the blocking forum thread the other day as well. I don't know how difficult it would be to set it up that way, but I believe it would eliminate a lot of it from those that constantly downvote certain users whenever they see a comment by them.

Report comment
(5y)

@springfield45 All things come to light, eventually ;) and lately a lot on here has, Thankfully!

Report comment
(5y)

@3UN01A This is genius. On fb you can see all the names of people that give you a thumbs up, should be simple to do the same here. I hope doctor evil reads this

Report comment
(5y)

@Necroclysm Yes on Facebook and all social media sites, it is never anonymous so why should it be here. Why would anyone even want to anon unless you are abusing it.

Report comment
(5y)

@3UN01A Hmmmm dr.evil just replied to my forum post said the voting feature is not anonymous?

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@Necroclysm really? I will vote your comment up now and let me know if you get notified with my name ?

Report comment
(5y)

@3UN01A Yes if you look on dr evils post you will see my recent comment to him and his reply. I just got a notification about your thumbs up but no name to speak of. Strange. Lol I dont wanna harass the poor guy about this but yea check his reply to my comment above he said its not anon

Report comment
(5y)

@Necroclysm lol yea it's still anonymous for now. He has been working hard on improving this site - amazing!

Report comment
(5y)

@3UN01A What difference would that make if a person dont like your comments they just dont like your comment whats knowing who it is going to do might just be the same people you chat with down voting you never know <br>

+7

Report comment
(5y)

@detroitvonna Im down voting this I dont agree to it lol joking but serious

+4

Report comment
(5y)

@detroitvonna I replied above to your first comment which answers this as well.

Report comment
(5y)

@detroitvonna I agree. It's redundant and censorship not to mention a wee bit paranoid to think anyone would bother to follow around a comment they can't even see.

+4

Report comment
(5y)

@3UN01A I just gave you a thumbs up for your comment. It was 0 before I clicked. As soon as I clicked thumbs up. It gave you a negative 3 (-3)

Why did that happen? I totally agree that if your name appeared with your vote the abuse would end.

Report comment
(5y)

@michael59 Why? That has never stopped it on Facebook, so historically speaking, that does not work. People who bully will continue to bully or abuse. Get rid of the downvote button. It's not even missed. Why have this singling out of members? Just remove the ability. That TRULY eliminates the problem. People have a right to disagree without it being called bullying. There are those who is they knew who who politely saying "I disagree" would make it personal. Again, the name and shame would make that even worse. Let's just stop it in its tracks full stop. No more down votes. If you don't like something move on.

If it is abusive, report it.

If it is against the TOS report it.

They member who breaks those rules will HAVE to post and the there won't be the "name and shame" of a downvote.

That's the answer. This name and shame button if for those who want to bully and exclude.
Read more

Report comment
(5y)

@michael59 Why? That has never stopped it on Facebook, so historically speaking, that does not work. People who bully will continue to bully or abuse. Get rid of the downvote button. It's not even missed. Why have this singling out of members? Just remove the ability. That TRULY eliminates the problem.

People have a right to disagree without it being called bullying. There are those who if they knew who who was politely saying "I disagree" would make it personal.

Again, the name and shame would make that even worse. Let's just stop it in its tracks full stop. No more down votes. If you don't like something move on.

The member who breaks those rules will HAVE to post and the there won't be the "name and shame" of a downvote.

That's the answer. This name and shame button is for those who want to bully and exclude based on their own perception of what a disagreement means.
Read more

Report comment
(5y)

@ Personally, I never use the thumbsdown button. If I disagree, I leave a reply stating why. That gives the OP a chance for rebuttal.

I use the thumbsup button for several reasons one reason is because I like the post/comment or because I think it is funny. Another reason I use it is because someone has responded to my post, but I really don't have anything useful to add so, it's my way of acknowledging that I read the response. But I realize now that they have no way of knowing it was acknowledged by me because my name does not show beside my like response.

Maybe we could add a *thanks* option? smiley

I have never used FB or twitter.

What I meant by eliminating abuse is that they would only get credit for one thumbsdown per posting. Otherwise, yes, they would get called out by almost every member as being a bully.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@michael59 I don't use FB either, and historically there, knowing who "downvoted" you has created more hate-wars than I care to mention.

People should do as you do, or nothing at all.

That's my point as well.

Thanks for writing back. :)

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@ Acknowledged. smiley

+1

guru
Report comment
(5y)

I disagree, the down vote is as important as the up vote. While I would hope someone would explain an arbitrary down vote, many don't seek arguement, just a voice. I don't have a beef with anyone on here, but if I disagree, you'll know anyway.....

+7

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(5y)

@sidewayswalking Exactly, nothing wrong with disagreements, the problem is when people get personal, and it happens too much. I have been guilty of it myself. Sometimes as hard as I try, I just get pushed to BITCH MODE!

+1

God
Report comment
(5y)

Do i detect irregular downvoting here as well. smiley smiley smiley

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@PureVodka🍺 As regular as links vanishing on certain things in my watched activity...its odd sometimes i search for something, it has links but later when i go back they are gone....more than one way to cast hatred for those with too much time to waste on stupid things, my view though

+1

master
Report comment
(5y)

Perhaps more specificity and enforcement should be applied as to what exactly is tolerated TOS-wise, also. <br> <br> Attacking/insulting another user in comments --or anywhere-- was wink-and-a-nod tolerated on here, even though it is prohibited by TM's TOS. Either it is or it isn't. Pick one. <br> If the TOS are binding, violators should have been dealt with accordingly, not ignored for whatever reason by admin. <br> Sadly, THAT was a driving force behind having to make all these changes to block posts/visibility of comments from people who don't understand civil exchange. <br> If TOS had been enforced, we wouldn't have had to make these kindergarten changes.

+7

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(5y)

@ThomasinaPaine Enforcing TOS solves a lot of issues and honestly, Mods/Admins have been doing that so I am happy with it.

master
Report comment
(5y)

By eliminating the downvote, admin just uncorked a venue for more of that uncivil behavior, allowing bullying-inclined users to make outrageous,offensive statements and preventing reasonable people from registering their dislike of that sort of behavior---shutting one door to bullying---opening another door to an unrestricted bully-pulpit. What is the POINT? <br> <br> YouTube patterning encourages contentious exchange; where a dowvote might have allowed a user a simple means to register a response, eliminating the downvote now results in name-calling and other sophomoric behaviors on there. <br> And it probably will on here.

+14

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@ThomasinaPaine Wrong. All major social sites don't have dislike buttons.

Report comment
(5y)

@Dr.Evil Although I've been off of FB for a while (as it's complete rubbish and only a way to self congratulate) I've always seen thumbs up/thumbs down icons in the past, but maybe that's changed since I just don't bother with that rubbish anymore. It's not realistic in the least.

senior guru
Report comment
(5y)

The trouble with trying to appease whiny people who constantly need validation of their self worth through votes and numbers which mean absolutely nothing is that they're whiny people period, there's no changing that. <br> It's very typical of these type of people to seek censorship of anyone with a differing opinion while attempting to make their own views appear more popular than they really are. <br> <br> Same old same.

+12

Hide 3 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@RandomOne OMFG, THIS!!!!! This a hundred thousand million times this! <br> <br> Nothing is going to change, they will always be whiny, they will always seek validation and they will always fight for their idea's to be blindly accepted. <br> <br> I applaud this sh*t out of your comment! <br> <br> Dr. Evil, give this man a million points!!!!

+5

Report comment
(5y)

@RandomOne Wish we had a love button I love this comment youve made. Best comment Ive read on this thread smh you said a mouth full and I totally agree

+2

Report comment
(5y)

@RandomOne So true! Censorship generally goes hand in had with agree with me or I want you to not be heard at all because only my opinion counts.

+3

master
Report comment
(5y)

I liked it the way it was. If people abuse it then deal with them accordingly. People need to stop being so sensitive. Why let it bother you so much if you get a thumbs down? Get over it and move on. Now if it is being abused then report it and let the admin handle it. That's my POV anyway.

+12

Hide 4 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@rickgrimesrocks i agree we should be able to see what peoples opinions on comments are. now if its zero likes we don't know if its zero likes/dislikes or 10 likes/100 dislikes. if I don't like the content of the comment/disagree im gonna dislike. but I never troll certain users and dislike every comment they make.

+8

Report comment
(5y)

@frhjve🦈 lots of people do though.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@sunshinedaydreams then ban the abusers don't punish everyone because of a few immature people

Report comment
(5y)

@frhjve🦈 I totally hear ya, I can see both sides of the argument for sure , I see the good and the bad. It's so close as to which is the lesser of two evils, not that it's evil but, you know what I mean. LOL

+1

God
Report comment
(5y)

With the feature being abused, this is a good idea.

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(5y)

@FemaleLotRfan83 Yes and it most definitely is being abused. Nice to see Mods opinions as well, Thanks!

God
Report comment
(5y)

This is a film site and people need to have fun here and take their passionate issues elsewhere. There's too much finger pointing and needless to say, a lot of those who point fingers are actually the ones doing what they say they dislike just to create more drama.

+15

Hide 22 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@ You have just described a lefties smiley nature. smiley

Report comment
(5y)

@PureVodka🍺 I have no idea what you mean by "lefties", PV. <br> <br> That's mainly because I do not label people I do know know. <br> <br> The Internet is a very poor way of ascertaining what anyone is really like. <br> <br> I'm really sorry you feel that way (whatever it means) about me or anyone else, and I wish you all the best, most sincerely. :)

+8

Report comment
(5y)

@ It was a joke about lefties, sorry i didn't know that you didn't know what " lefties " means, my bad. :(

Report comment
(5y)

@PureVodka🍺 Ok. Stereotypes aren't my think. People as individuals are. :) <br>

+10

Report comment
(5y)

@ You know what he means by lefties. LOL

+2

Report comment
(5y)

@sunshinedaydreams No, I don't. I live in Ireland. Lefties here means something completely different than in your country. Thanks, but you're not correct in that assumption about me and my country.

+7

Report comment
(5y)

@ I'm with you on that. I join movie sites because I'm interested in movies. I don't join to have an outlet to spread political views or conspiracy theories by posting inflammatory 'news' or by starting forum threads designed to instigate arguments, and seemingly, only for a bit of attention and the points - since most of those threads conclude with the OP saying "I'm right, you're wrong, but thanks for playing, hater" <br> <br> Whats wrong with just all agreeing we're here because we like to watch sh*t and leave the rest for somewhere else? <br> <br>

+9

Report comment
(5y)

@DemandingFemale Just a guess, but I think this might be moving to the direction of social media platform at some point. Just a guess/theory. Or not LOL

+3

Report comment
(5y)

@sunshinedaydreams It already is social media. We have the social - chat, forum, comments and profiles. And, we have the media - film. <br> <br> Without any disrespect meant, adding a 'news' feature hardly makes it Facebook. Social networking is defined as "The use of dedicated websites and applications to interact with other users, or to find people with similar interests to one's own." Our chosen 'dedicated website' is for watching movies and TV. We're all here because we like to watch stuff - Even without any social interaction people would still be here.

Report comment
(5y)

@DemandingFemale There is no disrespect in stating an opinion, it's when the name calling gets thrown into a discussion where it becomes disrespectful...ya know? :) Anyway, No it doesn't make it facebook, but wouldn't it be great if it took over facebook! I sure think so, I hate FB with a passion. The only good thing it did, was to locate my hs friends easier. But I don't need it anymore, nor do I support it. So I personally would love it if more people came here. than support a site that Censors. Just my thoughts. And on that note, I think i'll go splatter my ref link all over! :)

+3

Report comment
(5y)

@sunshinedaydreams The big difference is - Facebook, and other platforms, are neutral settings when you first sign-up. Once you join you have the power to network with people and on pages and groups that tailor to your individual interests, beliefs and ideologies. So, people can subscribe to a movie page or a classical music page. You can join a politic group that you support, whilst avoiding those you don't (I'm not talking about sponsored ad's) You can choose where, and from whom, you get your news. <br> <br> As I've said before - People come here primarily because they like to watch things - and that is the ONLY thing we all have in common regardless of our age, location, sex, beliefs, or personality. Shouldn't that be the thing that brings a whole bunch of strangers together instead of having things that are sure to divide us?

+3

Report comment
(5y)

@DemandingFemale Sure, I can see your point, but the sure fire way to stay divided is to only stay cloistered to your particular beliefs. Then there will never be a bridging of gaps. Just my opinion. But as far as this site goes, it was created as more than a movie site. Out of his mouth not mine. So for the people that don't want a social media movie site then there are tons of other sites that are mostly just movies. But on every movie site I've ever visited there are forums with diff topics. It goes back to, choose what you like. Nobody is forced to click on anything. It's really that simple. Free will is a magical thing.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@sunshinedaydreams I didn't say people were not exposed to alternate views - It's the alternative facts people need to be wary of. <br> <br> Every site with communication capabilities is a social network, and all have squabbling and in-fighting. Rules #1 of the internet - You can't like everybody and not everybody is going to like you. <br> <br> I've lost count the number of times I've seen the words LEFT and RIGHT since I signed up here. Everywhere is becoming the same - people with an US vs THEM mentality. Take that away and people have a lot less to be confrontational about.

Report comment
(5y)

@sunshinedaydreams Nice post. smiley smiley smiley

Report comment
(5y)

@ This is not just a film site now. Don't you see? :)

Report comment
(5y)

@Dr.Evil LOL actually, no, I don't. Respectfully, it's a place to have fun and film site is just a word. I love it here and want to maintain the integrity of what it is without resorting to narrow labels. :)

+7

Report comment
(5y)

@Dr.Evil True right, spot on.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@PureVodka🍺 "true right" ? Never come across that use of an expression before. Please clarify for me. I'm most genuinely lost there. Thanks very much. :)

+2

Report comment
(5y)

@ True to what he says, yes he is right.

Report comment
(5y)

@PureVodka🍺 Ta very much! I appreciate your taking the time to clarify! :)

Report comment
(5y)

@PureVodka🍺 "true right" ? Never come across that use of an expression before. Please clarify for me. I'm most genuinely lost there. Thanks very much. :)

Report comment
(5y)

@Dr.Evil That is so disappointing. I only wanted a movie site, with movie discussion. There are other sites to rip people apart on division over politics. Never-mind, there are so many good places to be in, that just do movies.

Dr. Evil, as you stated above this is not just a film site now. Thank you for the clarification so glaringly obvious.

+1

master
Report comment
(5y)

About the down and up votes not being anonymous - I personally would be fine with that, but I do worry that people will take it personally and it will start a whole "well since you down voted me, I'm going to down vote you" thing. It could possibly start more arguments than there already are in the comment section too. It would work if everyone could be mature, but is that really possible??

+8

Hide 5 replies...

@rickgrimesrocks Good point. I didn't consider that but you're right. Honestly no matter which way it goes it's going to be a lose lose situation. I guess it's just figuring out which is the lessor of two evils. Easier said than done sometimes.

+4

Report comment
(5y)

@◦•●◉✿♡Momof3αηgєℓѕ♡✿◉●•◦ OMG I just said the same exact thing...funny! Great minds. lol

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@rickgrimesrocks That's why down-voting is bad in every case. :)

Report comment
(5y)

@rickgrimesrocks Nope it's totally not possible. And that is unfortunate!

Report comment
(5y)

I feel like there are some people who are trying to influence other people on this site. I've seen it all over the place. I don't have much proof, it's more of a hunch. <br> <br> The work Dr.Evil does it great, and he really gives a lot to make this site the best it can be, and to be as friendly as it can be. <br> <br>

top expert
Report comment
(5y)

I like your idea. No need to go below zero. As you said, opinions can be expressed in a civil manner using comments.

master
Report comment
(5y)

I can instead say "it stank to Hell."no prob.! smiley

+6

master
Report comment
(5y)

I just see it as another form of censorship, but I also understand some people just get sensitive about others disagreeing with their thoughts. Some people do abuse it, but I just ignore them. I wish more people would ignore it, does it really matter in the bigger picture? Whatever that may be!

+5

Hide 6 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@sunshinedaydreams Censorship only exists in places where they are not independently owned and operated. Independently owned and operated sites are just that. If you agree, great, if you don't, great. There are lots of other sites to voice our opinion on whatever it may be (that is NOT meant specifically at you Sunshinedaydreams) it is just a fact of private vs public ownership and the criteria involved. Best wishes.

+2

Report comment
(5y)

@ I am not really sure what your trying to say. But I think far too much censoring is going on these days.

+2

Report comment
(5y)

Report comment
(5y)

@sunshinedaydreams Is YouTube comments system also a form of censorship?

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@Dr.Evil oooh ok is that equivalent to what you are trying to do here regarding the down button? I see now, that is why I needed clarification. But with regards to you tube, yea I actually do think they are censoring big time more and more. I reserve the right to change my mind, once I see how it plays out. I can see both sides of getting rid of it, and why it might have positives and negatives.

Report comment
(5y)

@sunshinedaydreams It's numbers, just numbers.

+6

admin
Report comment
(5y)

Just imagine that you meet a person, he says something to you, then you show him "-1" written on a small board and then you leave... silently... <br> <br> It's just stupid numbers. Nothing more. Some group of users can upvote/downvote. It means nothing.

+6

Hide 4 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@Dr.Evil I hear ya!

Report comment
(5y)

@Dr.Evil Up Voted LOL

Report comment
(5y)

@Dr.Evil Lol reminds me of a film f being in world like that. Get rid but maybe keep them for showing if link is crap then again change it to link broken link slow other issue.

Report comment
(5y)

@Anonymous2020 most attractive portrait on whole site!!

guru
Report comment
(5y)

Intresting maybe idea getting rid of like and dislike as everyones tastes are diffrent and dont usally tell you if movie etc is any good or not as some people say its bad but just not got brains to understand the content so just comments i think But then again i do want to know if link is kind of crap maybe just use it to help with bad links.

master

I love this site for the positive swag ya'll got ! I'm a freakin loyal two-movie'r for life! two thumbs way Up ova here!

+5

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(5y)

@ᚘ𝕺ƸᚰĦҜïᑻ⭍🌘 Well said, and couldn't agree more!

senior master
Report comment
(5y)

it's interesting to see the same members who were whining to have the vote downs removed now complaining about it and agreeing with others who say to keep it and let it be. Now that's some very confusing "trying to blend in" - hypocrisy at it's finest.

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(5y)

@3UN01A Which members? :)

top expert
Report comment
(5y)

I disliked it just to test it out.

+2

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(5y)
+1

admin
Report comment
(5y)

Do you miss dislike numbers? I think there's less hate now on the site.

Hide 6 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@Dr.Evil No, I do not miss the dislike numbers and I agree that there is less whining about it. Thanks for the improvements as always ;) much appreciated.

Report comment
(5y)

@Dr.Evil I don't miss them at all. BUT if there is a dislike, I've noticed if I like something someone has said, all of a sudden a -2 (or whatever minus number) comes up. Can that be changed? That's of course only a question, and I'm open to listening to why or why not, but I just don't see the purpose. If you don't like something, move on. If it's against the TOC or is offensive, report it. It's that simple. The thumbs down is just a incentive to be angry and hateful potentially, from what I've seen.

Report comment
(5y)

@ Yes sure, we haven't removed it yet because wanted to test users reaction first.

Report comment
(5y)

@Dr.Evil How long is the test to last?

Is there only the option of eliminating the USELESS thumb or are you examining alternatives?

Report comment
(5y)

@Dr.Evil Get rid of the downvote button. It's not even missed. Why have this singling out of members? Just remove the ability. That TRULY eliminates the problem.

People have a right to disagree without it being called bullying. There are those who if they knew who who was politely saying "I disagree" would make it personal.

Again, the name and shame would make that even worse. Let's just stop it in its tracks full stop. No more down votes. If you don't like something move on.

The member who breaks those rules will HAVE to post and the there won't be the "name and shame" of a downvote.

That's the answer. This name and shame button is for those who want to bully and exclude based on their own perception of what a disagreement means.

Personally, I disagree with a lot of people that I am friendly with. I appreciate differences when they are simply that "differences".
Read more

Report comment
(5y)

@Dr.Evil I don't miss the numbers, it's just numbers.
But I've only noticed less hate because of the block button, I wish it completely removed their whole account and associated feeds/news etc from my screen tbh.

top expert
Report comment
(5y)

I treasure my precious "one" like and my "one" dislike. It means that someone actually took the time to read my comment. Which triggered a reaction out of the two options available. I dont question the thumbs up unless they reply back. Why would i treat the thumbs down any different? People can thumb down/up all my comments.. But i can't debate or show gratitude to it unless they reply as to why it was done. And also the fact that we can't trace the source of these Ups and Down thumbs. That is another master stroke. Cause i can only imagine what it'll be like if we could.. Oh thats right.. Facebook! and look at the amount of hate an bullshyte thats on there. Dr E... just do you thing mate! Greatly

+2

senior master
Report comment
(5y)

As usual, late to the party.

I have read all the above and I like the idea of Useful/Useless indicators. A useful vote needs no explanation. However a useless one would suggest that the voter should indicate what they find useless to them. I would see it as an opportunity to offer some communication to the writer of the comment stating the reason or reasons why the voter finds the comment useless.

Extending that reasoning, I think that a useless vote should automatically open a reply box where the voter has to write saying the reason for the useless vote. That way there is a record of who made that vote and why.

The voter that can choose to write the message. Only if the message is sent THEN the useless vote would be registered. This way only the useless voters with a genuine reason will be registered.

Is it complicated to do something like this? - that's for the Doc.
Is it messy? Probably
Will it create a whole new set of challenges? What do you think???

+1

This topic has been closed.

Similar forum topics

FEEDBACK

Join 351,278 users who love movies and TV shows!

208,794 reviews • 122,426 films • 18,483 TV series