This site exists on your donations. Donate here
Switch theme
About Contact Log in Register!

351,278 users • 208,645 reviews
122,377 films • 18,475 TV series

Dachshund question (419 views, 28 replies)

This topic has been closed.

God
Report comment
(1y)

Does anyone know a lot about dachshunds? We adopted a chiweenie (part chihuahua, part mini dachshund) about 8 months ago. She looks just like a dachshund though.
My question is are they all crazy??
Piper is the strangest, funniest, weirdest and craziest dog either of us have had. She acts a lot like a cat. We brought her home at 8 weeks old so it's not how she was raised prior to us. She plays with toys like a cat and lays on her back using her front feet to hold her toys. She also gets in these running fits everyday where she runs so fast while grabbing grass to eat. She also eats EVERYTHING...dirt,poo, leaves, sticks, etc. She also is EXTREMELY STUBBORN! She has to do everything on her own terms or not at all.
We love her to death but she is crazy. We were just curious if we were lucky enough to choose the one crazy dog or if it's the breed. ๐Ÿ’‹

+7

master

Pack your bags and leave the house to its new rightful weenie IMMEDIATELY if you value patience and sanity. That weenie pup is gonna test both... forever. You already know you've lost your heart to the dark-chui-side, ryte? You'll hardly notice loosing your mind. Best wishes, and hug that puppy for us!

Then run...

+5

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(1y)

@(โŒโ– _โ– ) It's like having a Crack head for a pet!๐Ÿ’‹๐Ÿ’‹

+2

senior master
Report comment
(1y)
(edited)

Sounds like to me Teeny, you're caring for him in a fashion which makes her feel safe, happy and secure enough to be her true self. Well done. Who's luckier, you or Piper?

+6

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(1y)

@Bread&Circuses She's actually the only dog we have that didn't have a traumatic start to lift๐Ÿ’‹๐Ÿ’‹

+1

master

not following,,, zoomies, a big palett, loving toys
wheres the crazy part??
sounds like a sane dog to me??
smiley smiley

+4

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(1y)

@๐ŸŒžSuisen๐ŸŒž She is crazy and adhd! She can't even stand still long enough to poo๐Ÿ’‹

Report comment
(1y)

A vet once told me long ago that a dog's personality is adapted to mirror the personality of its owner smiley So the question here should be.....do you recognize any of these traits as your own or from a member of your family? smiley smiley

+5

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(1y)

@JudgeDredd My husband ALL THE WAY...LMAO๐Ÿ’‹๐Ÿ’‹

+4

master
Report comment
(1y)
(edited)

Prepare yourself: As weenies get older, they start flying and will talk your ears off!

+6

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(1y)

@(โŒโ– _โ– ) I love you guys! ๐Ÿ’‹๐Ÿ’‹

+4

Report comment
(1y)
(edited)

@(โŒโ– _โ– ) JD sez dawgs reflect traits of their human family?
So ๐Ÿ‘€ ... do I gotta brush up on my flying skill AND hushup?
smiley Eau-dangโ‰๏ธŽ

+1

senior master
Report comment
(1y)

Similar dogs when strays and then adopted hard to teach not to eat dirt and poo. I understand if you have watched this and made you sick. It was hard for me too. Took me about 2 years to be able to mess with her food and last week when we were at walk again I failed to make her not to eat what she found at our walk. I seen that mostly in small and big dogs for hunting. Never seen that in guard dogs. I don't keep dogs inside the house, in the yard only, I don't know how they behave indoors. Perhaps others that seen more cases with strays from various breeds and status know more and give u hints.

+3

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(1y)
(edited)

@Nasos Wyld Tootsie Rolls smiley Yummy or Not? smiley
www.reconnectwithnature.org/news...

+2

Report comment
(1y)

@(โŒโ– _โ– ) hehehe, given this article, can't tell for sure

+1

Report comment
(1y)

I have one that is 6 years old. He's part Dachshund and part Maltese. Hes still full of spunk and personality. Truly my best friend. I'll give you some pointers ... They are high energy dogs. They also are the most loving creatures you will ever own. Mine is very intelligent understands alot of what I say. E.g. ... Being part Maltese his hair continuously grows so I have to bathe him often in between shaves ... when Im done I tell him to shake to make it easier to dry and he does it on command. When I let him out and hes going in a direction I dont want I call him and tell him no and point to where I want him to go and he'll stop dead and go in the direction I want. He also used to go for runs with me beside my bike without incident always at my side. I said used to which leads me to the downside of this amazing animals. They have an extra disk in their spine which is where they get their longer shape from. YOU HAVE TO BE VERY CAREFUL NOT to let them jump off things or doing stairs going down. ...
Read more

+5

Hide 5 replies...
Report comment
(1y)
(edited)

@VicScri Yes 100% THIS โ˜๏ธ
Many Thx 'n Very True Too! ๐Ÿ˜ข

* Now is a good time to learn everything about weenie physiology and abide by the science like gospel. Also teach-REMIND everyone that handles your pup, especially kids. Creatively stack crates or make ramps for young pupper to get on/off sofa 'n beds without jumping. Lifetime of cautionary habits should start for your munchkin now.

+1

Report comment
(1y)

@(โŒโ– _โ– ) ramps are best

+1

@VicScri I agree (and ramps never need replacing). However budgets tend to start with stackable routes UP, that grow into proper well thought out ramps eventually.

*keep an eye out for rehoming ramps that frequent Fb-Mktplace. Really good used ramps tend to outlive their beloved users. ^hugs...

+1

Report comment
(1y)

@VicScri I too agree about jumping!

+1

Report comment
(1y)

@VicScri I'm so sorry to hear what happened to yours. That is amazing your still working with him to get better. My issue with ours is its like her mind is moving so fast that she can't even stop to listen. I'm really not sure she's hearing us half the time. If she wants something she will not stop until she gets it. I've just never seen a stubborn steak in a dog like hers before. ๐Ÿ’‹

master

My other dogs don't go out for lunch, climb inside my coat, or have their nails done. I have no excuse honestly... but fair warning, this might be you someday.

+1

Hide 4 replies...

@(โŒโ– _โ– ) im in love with the hat tho

+1

@๐ŸŒžSuisen๐ŸŒž Punk or Furr?? xx0x0xx

Punk is my diggity... eau yayas ma'am! But the fur is my true love. Remember world war2 and our mothers and grandma's wore long wool coats with sewn-on fur cuffs and collars? This is my mom's collar refitted on a regular beenie. It gets attn from everyone and its petted by strangers often. I value this hat more than anything I own... 'cuz my momma is always on my mind and in my heart.

+1

Report comment
(1y)

@(โŒโ– _โ– ) Lmao! Are those painted nails or tips? Piper's are sharp like a cat๐Ÿ’‹

+1

Report comment
(1y)

@Teeny๐Ÿ’‹ She loves her babies and they live her!

+1

Report comment
(1y)

Have had a few and none acted like this
eating poo is usually a sign of a mineral deficiency
Iys possible that she isnt able to extract something from her diet you should have a vet check

+1

Hide 2 replies...

@cdub129 Neighboring doggy-doo helps critters inoculate each other biologically. Gross, yeah but wildlife has diff drugstores avail ya know? And I've never met a hound that didn't covet kitty poo like a tootsie roll. They seem to think the look of horror on your face is because they got to it first.

Here's some wyld poo science: www.reconnectwithnature.org/news...

+1

Report comment
(1y)

@(โŒโ– _โ– ) there are quite a few reasons why that is why I said to take him/her to the vet.
they could be malnourished lacking digestive enzymes,trauma

but you wont know until blood work is done to rule out health issues

+1

This topic has been closed.

Similar forum topics

FEEDBACK

Join 351,278 users who love movies and TV shows!

208,645 reviews • 122,377 films • 18,475 TV series