This site exists on your donations. Donate here
Switch theme
About Contact Log in Register!

351,278 users • 208,872 reviews
122,463 films • 18,489 TV series

Childhood happy things. (490 views, 4 replies)

This topic has been closed.

guru
Report comment
(5y)

Way back when grass hoppers were quite big. I had a blanket woven from wool, dyed in a mydred of colours. None of my siblings would touch it. "Too Scratchy". To me it was soft and heaps warm, even in the coldest winter nights that Scotland could throw.
What makes you smile when a childish memory slaps your head.

+4

God
Report comment
(5y)

Ladybirds in the back garden, little animals burrowing in the tall grass, polliwogs, baby birds, sliding around the grass on a paper sack, taking apart 3 bikes to make one racer, making ice cream, making a mud house, climbing trees...

+4

God
Report comment
(5y)

I had a childhood blanket and a baby doll that I named Sweety Pie. I carried them everywhere I went. I remember the blanket was my safety, anytime I was scared I would hide under it and it would keep me safe. It had the velvety feel to with a satin ribbon around the edge. Unfortunately, over the years my blankie disintegrated so I don't have anymore. I do still have Sweety Pie though. My mom says she had beautiful curly hair and had a soft velvet layer on her face, she looks nothing like that now. She has very short matted hair and no more velvet on her face. I will see if I can upload a picture later.
I did want my son to have something similar so my mom made him a similar blankie when he was born, out of all the baby blankets I was given he picked the one my mom made as his favorite. He is 19 years old and that blanket is still on his bed today. His blanket had more of a personality I guess you could say, its name is blankie and it did go everywhere with him and he still loves it today. ...
Read more

+3

master
Report comment
(5y)

Behind my house was a forest where I would climb trees. A few had fallen and looked like they had been there for generations. The forest told me more about life than any public school ever did. I learned how to rely on myself, how to explore and how to think.

Beyond the forest was a graveyard and as the forest moved closer it would swallow up graves so you'd often find tombstones embedded in the forest floor of people long since forgotten. It taught me a lot about permanence and people's place in the universe. I played in the graveyard a lot until one of my neighbors died of Cancer and was buried there. Though I didn't know him well I'd often go look at his grave.

I've been back since and much of the forest was cut down to make rooms for new homes. Most of the people I knew there had moved on. One of the two families I knew that are still living there is the widow of the man that died of Cancer. I've thought about going by to say hello but I'm sure she'd have no idea who I am.

+1

guru
Report comment
(5y)

Bruno, you would be amazed at what some people remember. Years ago I delivered rental tv's and VCRs. One time it was to a 92 year old lady. I knew that as it was on her rental contract. It was in the part of Glasgow where I was born but only lived there for 6 months. This little lady told me my name, my parents names and my grand parents names then a couple of saucy tales about my grand mum that I can't ever un-hear. They were pals and went to the dance halls together. How she recognized me is still a mystery. Or just family resemblance. Still doesn't explain her knowing my full name that I never, ever use. People are very strange and can surprise you at any time.
So the widow might know your name and some stories about you, that you'd rather not hear.

This topic has been closed.

Similar forum topics

FEEDBACK

Join 351,278 users who love movies and TV shows!

208,872 reviews • 122,463 films • 18,489 TV series