This site exists on your donations. Donate here
Switch theme
About Contact Log in Register!

351,278 users • 208,714 reviews
122,397 films • 18,478 TV series

anyone kw about baby bunnies💋 (224 views, 9 replies)

This topic has been closed.

God
Report comment
(3y)

I know it's a weird question but one of my dogs dug up a nest of baby bunnies in our backyard. We put the baby back in that she pulled out. I'm wondering how fast do they grow? Its going to be difficult keeping her away from them as our yard is fenced in.

Any help is welcome!

Teeny💋💋

master
Report comment
(3y)

Instant fix: scatter a box of moth balls betweeen the bunnies 'area' and the dog. Momma bunny probably already moved the babies - but it will demotivate the dog and obscure the bunnies smell and direction of escape. Good luck smiley

+3

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(3y)

@(⌐■_■) Thank you! 💋

+1

Report comment
(3y)

@(⌐■_■) Moth balls are toxic if animals eat them. They also give off heavy fumes which may harm babies or cause mom to abandon her nestlings. Rabbits cannot relocate their babies when hazed like raccoons do. Best to leave them be until they are weaned and mobile.

+1

guru
Report comment
(3y)

I had a bunny as a pet. Trix.. it's not just for kids! They make sweet pets. And you can litter train them. They are very sociable.. so will get on well with cats & dogs. I loved that my faucet outside leaked a lil and wild bunnies could drink in the hot Georgia sun. I never complained about them digging up in my garden as well. I had plenty to share. That doesn't answer your question at all. If you are concerned call your local state university or veterinarian. My local vet was not helpful on rabbits. smiley

+2

Hide 1 reply...

senior master
Report comment
(3y)

Some dogs get irritated from the sounds of babies of other pets and sometimes may kill them. Maybe they are having memories of some kind or something in their instinct. I seen that for kitten and small chicken. The same dogs been very friendly on these mamas. If you don't plan on making a serious house/home for the bunnies, like a bunny barn something, it's on the dogs side to be controlled/ educated. If this is not helpful or easy, maybe send mama rabbit with kids away until they grow.

+2

God
Report comment
(3y)

Thank you everyone for your help💋💋

+1

Report comment
(3y)

I rehab cottontails. Wild rabbits cannot be pets! Just have to get that out there. They are prey animals and easily die from capture myopathy. This makes them one of the toughest animals to rehab.

From birth to leaving the nest takes about 3 weeks. They'll be about the size of a baseball and the blaze on their foreheads will be fading away. If you can leash your dog when out for just a little while, they will disperse soon enough. If you aren't sure if mom is returning to feed the babies, you can place little twigs in a # shape over the nest and see it they are moved after dusk or dawn. Mom will only feed 2x day and leave them alone the rest of the time. If you find they are abandoned, let me know. I can help you locate a wildlife rehabber or advise on hand raising if none are available near you.

+3

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(3y)

@JustaGrl Thank you so much for that info. The moon keeps coming back so that is good and we are leashing the dogs. At least I have a good timeline now. Thanks for your help💋💋

+3

This topic has been closed.

Similar forum topics

FEEDBACK

Join 351,278 users who love movies and TV shows!

208,714 reviews • 122,397 films • 18,478 TV series