This site exists on your donations. Donate here
Switch theme
About Contact Log in Register!

351,278 users • 208,739 reviews
122,398 films • 18,478 TV series

The Spy Who Came in from the Cold (499 views, 5 replies)

This topic has been closed.

guru
Report comment
(2y)
(edited)

Happy Hello, Several of Richard Burton's movies, like The Spy Who Came in from the Cold (1965) are listed only under another language's version of the title, or the actual foreign original title. For instance, The Spy Who Came in from the Cold cannot be found unless you know the German Title: Spion aan de muur. IMDB can find these foreign film titles, but it does not list them under these titles, even if they are the original titles. I may not succeed, but I am trying not to be confusing.

The Spy Who Came in From the Cold is listed on DM only under the German name and a search for "The Spy Who came in from the Cold" yields nil results:
dosmovies.com/film/Spion_aan_de_...
www.imdb.com/title/tt0059749/?re...

On DM, The Massacre in Rome is under its original Italian name: Rappresaglia, but IMDB lists the movie under the English title:
dosmovies.com/film/Rappresaglia
Read more

+1

senior master
Report comment
(2y)

Nice post Alice. I too find out it's difficult sometimes to get movies in the search function. One thing I do and always get results in site's search engine is paste the link from IMdb as suggested. For examble my search for Dune 1984 gave zero results but my search " www.imdb.com/title/tt0087182/&qu... in the search box gave results.

I too was thinking that added movies in different language titles confuse many users. Perhaps Doc could make a forum category or post so that they be added and make searches easier. Sounds perhaps more work for the admins as the title has already been listed here ?!

+1

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(2y)
(edited)

@Nasos Thank you and hello Nasos! I used to know to search by the IMDB link, and it seems I have totally forgotten about that, so thank you!

My intentions weren't to suggest new programming for the Search function - I am sorry if it came out that way as I see now it could sound like that. I saw a "more movies like this" link to A Spy Who... and although the title was in German, I recognized the movie from the thumbnail as it's one of my favorites, and it's on my list to re-watch soon. I would never have found it! Your suggested troubleshooting for finding a movie was stated so kindly. smiley smiley

+1

senior master
Report comment
(2y)

I watch movies in several languages and have found the same thing.
For example the French movie Ma Mere 2004 was issued in English as My Mother but that search does not work, and the French title only works if the accent is included (not on most US keyboards).
But I can find it by searching the lead members of the cast like Isabelle Huppart, then through her movie list.

Maybe if we find these lost title connections we could add them in 'tags' to help others.

+2

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(2y)

@Buttless I seen that too for wrong titles or alternative titles. And yes spelling also confuses, bad spelling like mine, more ! smiley

+1

senior master
Report comment
(2y)

Thanks for reminding me about 'The Spy who came in from the cold', just watched it again (and added a review) that is one of the great spy movies and among Richard Burton's best.

+1

This topic has been closed.

Similar forum topics

FEEDBACK

Join 351,278 users who love movies and TV shows!

208,739 reviews • 122,398 films • 18,478 TV series