This site exists on your donations. Donate here
Switch theme
About Contact Log in Register!

351,278 users • 208,936 reviews
122,510 films • 18,490 TV series

The Greek Myths by Robert Graves. (223 views, 17 replies)

This topic has been closed.

senior master

senior master
Report comment
(1y)

+2

Hide 12 replies...
Report comment
(1y)

@..box.. I have to say that reading Greek mythology in English is weird. It just doesnt sound the same. The meaning of words is not represented as accurately as in Greek or even better, as in Ancient Greek. I suppose though that if you dont speak Greek you cant really tell the difference. smiley

+2

Report comment
(1y)

@JudgeDredd dosmovies.com/film/Arion

Wild experience for me to listen Greek ancient names in Asian dialogues! I liked the movie, perhaps because I am Greek. Don't know if I am objective in m y opinion

+1

Report comment
(1y)

@Nasos I took Ancient Greek History in McGill for fun. I thought it would have been an easy "A". Turned out to be one of the most hilarious classes I ever took. The professor knew his stuff BUT he was pronouncing each word in the Erasmus’s scheme, which pronounces the diphthongs as singular vowels. Every single word with diphthongs became a laugh riot for me. To give you an example, try to pronounce each vowel in "Οίκοι" or "Οιδίπους" and see how funny it sounds smiley smiley Now imagine an entire lecture like that. It was really hard keeping a straight face for the duration smiley smiley

+1

Report comment
(1y)

@JudgeDredd You mean he was using the ancient pronunciation of long and short sounding vowels? I never heard of the Erasmus scheme. You mean the entire lection was in ancient Greek or the references only? You remember the books I posted pics from. As I was reading in katharevousa in my early years among the dimotiki in my school classes I easily learned to read in the ancient dialect of Athens.I can't imagine myself handling the Spartan or other dialects. The differences in vowels especially sound funny and disturbing Thus this page : www.akwn.net/
sounds like music to me. It really gives me pleasure. Likewise the books written of old fathers of clergy. I get crazy satisfied reading 1st, 2nd etc century synods and discussion for God or other social things because of the way they were thinking and the education they had. I am a tad older perhaps or because of the books in our library. Perhaps I would feel the same if i was in ur place
Read more

+1

Report comment
(1y)

@Nasos Hi Nasos, Judge, you two talking about this provoked a memory you might get a chuckle from. when I was in school in the '60s, most European countries had something like a National Tourist Bureau and one could write to them requesting information about that country. The response was usually a form letter and a couple of pamphlets about popular tourist locations. Not much but still useful for grade school reports. When I wrote to the Greece Tourist Bureau, Their response was a large Manila envelope about an inch thick stuffed with dozens of pamphlets and maps and stickers. I got A's on reports about Greece up through high school using the stuff I received in that envelope and I have always really appreciated it.

+2

Report comment
(1y)

@Wander If US was closer to GR I bet it would be a regular destination for vacations. Brits, Germans and many other Europeans have houses in GR, made relatives and know many places in GR better than me. I for example never been to Crete or the 12 islands .

+2

Report comment
(1y)

@Nasos 12 islands? We have 6,000 islands and islets scattered in the Greek Seas, of which only 227 islands are inhabited smiley

+1

Report comment
(1y)

@Nasos I agree. So many beautiful beaches and so much history. I have wanted to visit since I received that envelope. The real problem is distance. Travel across oceans is expensive and simply out of the budget for many Americans. Now that I am retired, I hope to do some International travel. I have all the stuff I need so now I can spend my money having fun.

+2

Report comment
(1y)

@Wander I understand. If you don't like to internet hunt for tickets I'd recommend use some person u know and search together charter flights and cheap tickets. Some times Brits find tickets in charter flights with insanely cheap prices. Likewise the German-Chech or Austrian - Chech , can't recall well, travel agencies. They buy in bulk and then offer. Sometimes, because of cancellations and other reasons there are available packets for holidays and tickets in very low prices. Need to hunt these in their pages or, as other ppl do, keep in contact with a person in travel agency or in the airport services that are close to the ads of the offers. Some times international traveling hides bad surprises like the financial fail of the agencies or other problems. You can't do anything about it and foresee this. You have to also keep an eye to the credibility and history of the agencies and traveling companies. ...
Read more

Report comment
(1y)

@Nasos Those are great tips, thank you. Sketchy travel agencies are always a problem. I do know it is possible to buy tickets from out of the country to get savings. I did that once here when flying across the country. I looked up the prices on all the major carriers, then I went to their websites in other countries and I was able to save $300 on that flight. Travel is getting easier. I just saw a pair of ear pods that along with a phone app, will translate my words into their language and their words into mine for $119, I love it.

+2

Report comment
(1y)

@Wander Yeah, the Greek National Tourism Organisation always went above and beyond to promote Greece. Probably the only part of civil service working at 100% capacity smiley

+3

Report comment
(1y)

@JudgeDredd That makes sense completely. When I try to translate things from Finnish to English, it's a struggle to get people who don't speak any language but English to grasp the real meanings.

Movies and series are on the same line of translation to interpretation. It's much better to read the film, and have the actors voice still present in the language the film was made in.

Voice actors generally ruin anything when they try to do the voice acting in English.

+1

expert
Report comment
(1y)

Great book by a great writer. I, Claudius and Claudius the god are amongst my favorite books.

+2

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(1y)

@severinks That's fantastic! Another reader! I've not read this author. I'm eager to sample his works now. smiley

senior master
Report comment
(1y)

Thank you, Box! smiley

guru
Report comment
(1y)

I am pretty sure about 20 years ago I saw interviews with Robert Graves and George Lucas and apparently George was Very influenced by Robert Graves and many of the Star Wars characters and themes come from Mr. Graves's books.

+2

This topic has been closed.

Similar forum topics

FEEDBACK

Join 351,278 users who love movies and TV shows!

208,936 reviews • 122,510 films • 18,490 TV series