This site exists on your donations. Donate here
Switch theme
About Contact Log in Register!

351,278 users • 208,794 reviews
122,426 films • 18,483 TV series

Lord Of The Rings (930 views, 49 replies)

This topic has been closed.

expert
Report comment
(5y)

How come "The One Ring" or "The Precious" made everyone that wore it invisible except Sauron?

+1

Hide 10 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@Smilla That's easy. He WAS the only true Lord of the Ring ("Precious" ) : Sauron didn't become invisible because he was never visible in "this" dimension. The end. Lol

Report comment
(5y)

@ Not so easy. sauron was killed by Aragons father in the midst of battle while wearing the ring. Evryone saw him clearly.

Report comment
(5y)

@Smilla Respectfully, you haven't read the books (properly) then or you've misunderstood the film's adaptation. Sauron is NOT of this dimension. Full stop.

No point in arguing with something that Tolkien made pretty clear.

Good luck! :)

Report comment
(5y)

@ I can only go by what I saw in the film and I SAW Sauron WITH the ring on his hand. So he was clearly visible. Hence my post why was he the only person to wear the ring that was visible.

p.s. I read the books from front to back..left to right.
:)

Report comment
(5y)

@Smilla Sauron can appear but is not truly in this dimension. It's the actual answer, according to Tolkien, but if you enjoy this dialog continue on.

That's not me being cheeky, I mean it. I was just giving the facts according to the actual author.

Have fun! :)

Report comment
(5y)

@ In Tolkien's legendarium:

Illuvatar was the one, all powerful creator of everything.

The Valar were spirits, created by Illuvatar to shape the world.

The Maiar were spirits which descended to Arda to help the Valar shape the world. Sauron, Gandalf, Saruman, Radagast were all Maiar. The Balrogs were Maiar corrupted by Morgoth - who was also Sauron's boss before being overthrown by the Valar.

The ring was made by Sauron, it contained most of his own power, this is why cutting the ring off his hand destroyed his form at the time and why it took him thousands of years to build enough power to return to Arda and why destroying the ring ended him.

RB is sort of right; he is of that world/dimension but also exists in the spirit realm - like elves who have visited the far West and the 5 wizards - because he is one of the many spirits who helped shape the world before being corrupted.
Read more

Report comment
(5y)

@Mykee83 LOL I only know a little about the totality of Tolkien's thinking and imagination in constructing everything he did. (It mind boggling.)

Thanks very much for taking the time to write that. :)

It does my head in mostly, in its complexity.

I only know a little about a little on my own.

Report comment
(5y)

@ I became obsessed about Middle Earth and - in particular - Numenor and just read every Middle Earth history book I could get my hands on.

Years later I found:

tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Main_Page

Tolkien gateway was like a wet dream for a fantasy nerd like me

+2

Report comment
(5y)

@Mykee83 Oh, coolio!

Cheers, mate. :)

I attempted to read the Silmarillion, but I got lost and was re-reading the same 20 pages.

smiley smiley smiley

Report comment
(5y)

@ It is really tough to follow at first. I persevered simply because I wanted to read about Morgoth and how Numenor came about.

expert
Report comment
(5y)

<br>

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(5y)

@Smilla For some reason, whatever you've posted here isn't loading for me.

expert
Report comment
(5y)

The Post or the reply? The reply isnt loading for me but the Lord Of The Rings Post is fine.

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(5y)

@Smilla The reply. <br> <br> Didn't want to answer your question in case it was a punchline lol

skilled
Report comment
(5y)

I don't know. All I know is that the ability the ring gives to other people is miniscule, compared to what it gives Sauron.

+3

senior guru
Report comment
(5y)

I wouldn't say it made them invisible - it made them exist in 2 realms at once (Reality & Spirit). Which is why Frodo can see the Black Riders clearly with the ring on - and why the sword had the effect it did. <br> <br> Sauron is an ancient being and has not just had 1 physical form. His powers to control realms and manifest in different physical forms would suggest he has power over the ring, and not the other way round. <br> <br> The Dwarfs reacted differently to the ring - They never crossed to the Spirit realm when wearing the ring. It didn't hold enough power over them. Dwarfs are too stubborn lol.

+4

expert
Report comment
(5y)

Certainly after his death Sauron was not able to manifest in different physical forms. I believe thats why he sought the ring out to gain its power and through that power a physical form. Thats the impression I got from the movie. I cant remember the book. Seeing the movie a few hundred times has erased the book from memory. I cant remember how the dwarfs reacted to their rings. But Lady Galadriel reacted almost the same way as Bilbo without even touching it. So I guess it does affect characters differently after all.

+1

senior guru
Report comment
(5y)

In the movies Lady Galadriel only showed Frodo a glimpse of what could be if she had possession of the ring. She was tempted to take it but knew how corruptible the power of the ring was. Bilbo had been in possession of it for decades, Gollum for much, much longer. Neither of them really wore it, they just wanted to be close to it. <br> <br> Sauron was behind the making of all the rings whilst in physical 'man' form, tricking the Elves and Dwarfs before they realised who he was - the ONE ring was forged by him alone. After losing it during the Battle of Dagorlad he retreated to the Spirit realm and over saw Middle Earth from there while he regrouped and looked for the ring. He had been searching for it for a long time before they discovering Gollum had it (and lost it to Bilbo) <br> <br> Maybe the new Amazon series will answer some of these questions? Excited to see what they do. <br>

+1

Hide 3 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@DemandingFemale Thanks for the info on Amazon/LOTR. I'm looking forward to that now.

Report comment
(5y)

@Smilla They are spending on a fortune on it, too.

I think with the rise in popularity of other historic/fantasy TV series, like Game of Thrones and The Shannara Chronicles etc, Amazon thinks it will pay off in the long run.

I think they've earmarked $1billion for the project.

Report comment
(5y)

@DemandingFemale Fingers crossed it all works out and Im alive to see it.
:)

+1

guru
Report comment
(5y)

I would guess it was an unintended side effect , as hobbits are not mentioned as being a part of the old war. <br> Never read them, just the movies and its been a while. <br> I would also guess the tower 'eye of sauron' was built as a result of bilbo using the rings power and sauron sensing its use but unable to find it.

+1

Hide 11 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@Mark83x The Eye of Sauron was more symbolic. <br> <br> The Dark Tower was real, built and held together with dark magic long before Bilbo/Frodo, but there was no giant eye. Peter Jackson added the eye to give clear indication to the audience that Sauron could over-see almost all of Middle Earth. (it had already been used in earlier adaptations, though) <br> <br> In the books he has a physical form and is in residency in the Dark Tower.

+2

Report comment
(5y)

@DemandingFemale Think i might need to pick up the books someday . Learn me some elvish

Report comment
(5y)

@Mark83x The Hobbit is a small enough book to get through we ease - LotR's trilogy is much more time consuming. <br> <br> They were my bedtimes stories at a kid - My Dad was a bit of a fantasy nerd.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@DemandingFemale Try The Silmarilion, that's bloody complex and really hard to follow at times

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@Mykee83 I tried with The Silmarilion when I was a teen, but by then I was into my Thomas Harris phase and preferred murder over magic.

Report comment
(5y)

@DemandingFemale Exactly. Sauron is not truly of this dimension. Precisely spoken answers. If one has only seen the films, however, this concept that Sauron is not of this dimension and cannot truly be seen in his REAL form would not be understood.

Report comment
(5y)

@DemandingFemale Exactly. Sauron is not truly of this dimension. Precisely spoken answers. If one has only seen the films, however, this concept that Sauron is not of this dimension and cannot truly be seen in his REAL form would not be understood.

Report comment
(5y)

@ It's difficult to discuss LotR's when some have read the books and others have just seen the movies as there is SO much more information and back story in the books.

I try to find a middle ground, as some book fans can get a bit too (Helm's)deep with their responses. lol

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@DemandingFemale Agreed! :)

Report comment
(5y)

@DemandingFemale I'm guilty of that last point lol

There are more than just the four books.

www.listchallenges.com/the-compl...

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@Mark83x I believe the tower "eye of sauron" effect was only visible in the astral/spirit realm or to those who had the ability to see into that realm

master

From what i saw in the movies, not everyone was made invisible it was only Hobbits (Bilbo,Frodo and Smeagol), if you don't know Gollum is an Hobbit called Smeagol but wearing the ring and being in possession of it for so long turned him into Gollum as you also should know hobbits can live a long time but with that kind of power it made him live a lot differently, he lost what it meant to be a Hobbit. i never saw a Dwarf or Elf wear it so i cannot say how they react but Humans was Paranoia and a evil demeanor even jealousy. When Sauron was "killed" he never truly died something that powerful never does it just goes into a state of slumber so he did for somewhat of forever until his followers made enough magical essence evil enough for him to feed on and be "reborn" but first he needed the ring to get his "form back" maybe corporeal or spirit i am not sure because he didn't get it back, his tower only sensed it when it was worn and that's why Frodo was in danger more then the others.... ...
Read more

+1

Hide 5 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@❤️cєlєstє🌖mσσn❤️ Smeagol was not actually a hobbit but very similar. And as for how people reacted to the ring I gather that the simpler a lifestyle you lead and more morally strong you were the less corruptible were.

Report comment
(5y)

@❤️cєlєstє🌖mσσn❤️ Thanks for that. I was just repeating what Frodo said. lol

Report comment
(5y)

@❤️cєlєstє🌖mσσn❤️ Frodo: "Gandalf told me you were one of the River Folk."

Gollum: "Cold be heart and hand and bone. And called be travelers far from home."

Frodo: "He said your life was a sad story."

Gollum: "They do not see what lies ahead when sun has failed and moon is dead."

Frodo: "You were not so different from a Hobbit once were you? — Sméagol."

[Gollum looks up slowly.]

Gollum: "What did you call me?"

@Smilla Oh right now i see why you was a little bit confused, no matter! :D

+1

master
Report comment
(5y)

I remember reading LOR at school and my form tutor explaining to me that it was a metaphor for WW2 and Sauron was Hitler and sauraman was either Stalin or Mussolini. <br> Even at the tender impressionable age of 14, I realised that the miserable old scroat was sucking the fun out of something special and determined to enjoy it on its own merits. <br> Like a lot of people, it introduced me to the fantasy genre, much as Michael moorcock did and early sci fi authors like jack Vance, EE Doc Smith did with their genre. <br> I would be interested to hear if there are any modern day equivelants that have influenced young readers ? I’m guessing Harry Potter would be one and the twilight sagas maybe ?

+1

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(5y)

@shabbapaul sounds like your teacher was a bloody idiot, Middle Earth was being built by Tolkien for around a decade before Hitler even began his rise to power.

LotR was based on Tolkien's own religious views and Norse and German mythology.

Report comment
(5y)

Legolas is my favorite character smiley( www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMTYFeAb...

God
Report comment
(5y)

It made Frodo and Bilbo invisible because they were mortal.

Report comment
(5y)

Everyone is talking about the movie but I didn't watch this movie LORD OF THE RINGS. I found a site [url= appshowbox.org/]appshowb... [/url] But I am not sure whether a movie will be present there or not ?? If anyone knows about any other websites where I can watch free movies Please tell me. One more question is there any relation between hobbit and Lord of rings ??

+1

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(5y)

@bartelsskyler There are three films and all of them are here:

dosmovies.com/watch_movie/Lord_of_the_Ri....

dosmovies.com/watch_movie/Lord_of_the_Ri....

dosmovies.com/watch_movie/The_Lord_of_th....

PS - I got a "page not found" for the site you shared.

This topic has been closed.

Similar forum topics

FEEDBACK

Join 351,278 users who love movies and TV shows!

208,794 reviews • 122,426 films • 18,483 TV series