This site exists on your donations. Donate here
Switch theme
About Contact Log in Register!

351,278 users • 208,645 reviews
122,376 films • 18,475 TV series

The Book Vs The Movie/TV Series (1079 views, 7 replies)

This topic has been closed.

master
Report comment
(4y)

A thread for anyone that wants to compare/contrast a book that has been made into a movie or TV series. Are there things that bothered you about the movie or series as compared to the book, maybe parts they left out? Movies or series you think did an excellent job of converting to the screen or ones that were very poorly adapted? Any movie or series made from any book up for discussion. Here is a list of some to get you started but please feel free to talk about any that you wish.

Lord of the Rings
Game of Thrones
Gone With the Wind
Godfather
Twilight Series
Orange is the New Black
IT, Shawshank Redemption (or any Stephen King)
Interview With the Vampire

These are just a few of the many, many to talk about. Please give us your thoughts. smiley

+5

skilled
Report comment
(4y)

I loved silence of the lambs book and film but hannibal was a letdown imo as the book touched on lecter and starling being in a relationship and it was a twisted love story ...

The shining book well what can I say is gr8 the film soso but the TV series was a bit more like the book but again in the book the hotel had a life of it's own and was pretty sinister and above all

A game of ice and fire

Finish the damn books lol the books are amazing but they stop when Dany gets flown out the arena and u just wanna carry on reading but cant I'm on my fifth time reading them now and don't think I'll ever get bored the TV series goo but it left our so many people and in ur mind u see how people look and it's not the same in the TV series ...ie Dario nahaaris had coloured hair and long beard with bells etc I would have liked to see them interpret them bit better ok enough for now or I'll be ranting all day and no one wants that 🤣🤣😘

+4

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(4y)

@veebee29 It has been forever since I read Silence of the Lambs. I wonder why they chose to leave that part out.

The Shining is an excellent book. I agree the TV series matches the book so much better. Here is the link for anyone interested in watching
dosmovies.com/watch_tv_show/The_Shining....

A Song of Ice and Fire...oh goodness. I really, really hope GRRM ends to books differently than the show. I want to know what the Azor Ahai is all about and Cersei's prophecy about her little brother "valonqar". There are a lot more elements to the book. I'm hoping he ties up all these loose ends for us. That is if he ever finishes them! 8 years it's been already.

Books are usually better than the movies or series. They always have more details and your imagination can be so much better than what they can show on a screen.

Thank you for sharing! smiley

+2

Report comment
(4y)

@veebee29 i did enjoy the ending of Hannibal [the novel] and thought it would have been interesting if the series would have simply picked up from there.

+1

senior master
Report comment
(4y)

I suppose the three authors that I have read the most (Arthur Conan Doyle, John le Carré and Stephen King) are also probably the most adapted novelists to date (apart from Agatha Christie).

Although there have been some fine films of their works, I think the mini-series is best suited and allows the characters and plot the time necessary for a more complete adaption.

Of course the books are preferable, but a good series can also serve if time is limited.

I have enjoyed immensely the recent productions of King (Mr. Mercedes, 22.11.63, Castle Rock) for television and I loved The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile and Stand By Me too. He is so prolific but this had lead to some very poor attempts to transpose his work to the big and small screens.

Le Carré's The Night Manager and the recent The Little Drummer Girl had me hooked and I think the new version of Sherlock with Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman is a pure delight.
Read more

+1

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(4y)

@..box.. I haven't read Arthur Conan Doyle or John le Carré (I don't care for detective and spy stuff) but I have certainly read a lot of Stephen King.

You make a very good point about mini-series being best suited to showcase a book. Unless you have a 3 hour plus movie, there just isn't usually enough time to give the book proper respect.

Some very good mentions on the successful projects made from King's material. There have been some very, very bad ones too.

Thank you so much for sharing.

+1

guru
Report comment
(4y)

The Godfather kept very close to the book, except for Luca Brasi, if you read the book he is one of the scariest SOB's to ever live but in the movie he is a slow-witted idiot, always wondered about that. LOTR kept close to the books too, there are things I would have loved to see but then it would have taken 5 or 6 3 hour movies to fit it all. For me, the ones I really hate are the ones where they license the title of a successful book that is nothing like the movie, example: The Quick and The Dead, with sharon stone, Starship Troopers, that was originally called something like Bughunt on Outpost 15, but they paid a lot for the Heinlein title, changed some character names and bingo, one hideous movie.

+3

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(4y)

@Wander my favourite example of a misleading book to film title: Stephen King's The Lawnmower Man. literally nothing like the original short story, and Mr King successfully sued to have his name removed from the credits because of that. it's still a watchable movie though, with some cool ideas of it's own.

dosmovies.com/watch_movie/The_Lawnmower_....

if you're interested, here's the only known [short] film version of the original King story. it's a no budget college student production, so don't expect much:

+3

This topic has been closed.

Similar forum topics

FEEDBACK

Join 351,278 users who love movies and TV shows!

208,645 reviews • 122,376 films • 18,475 TV series