This site exists on your donations. Donate here
Switch theme
About Contact Log in Register!

351,278 users • 208,748 reviews
122,406 films • 18,479 TV series

Is this our new socail morality? (590 views, 40 replies)

This topic has been closed.

top expert
Report comment
(1y)

How is this any different than DRAG Story Time for children? Do you really want this type of behavior to be mainstream or the new social morality?

+1

senior master
Report comment
(1y)

“Expression of emotions and manners today has been melted together and become vividly westernised,” Namdol Lhagyari, a Tibetan activist in exile, wrote on Twitter. “Bringing in narrative of other cultures, customs and social influence on gender and sexuality to interpret Tibetan way of expression is heinous.”

www.independent.co.uk/asia/india...

Tibetan cultural norms include tongue greetings.

The above article is one of many sources explaining this societal difference.

+5

Hide 4 replies...
Report comment
(1y)

@DontSpeak Hy, I had a look at the link above and although "sticking out one's tongue" is mentioned, there is a clear distinction between that and swapping saliva with a minor.

Actually, the article goes on to quote Child Rights activist Shola Mos-Shogbamimu ... “This is NOT playful banter & so inappropriate to use ‘affectionately plants kiss’ alongside ‘suck my tongue’. Hugs are fine not this. Don’t normalise molestation of kids - don’t care how revered the Dalai Lama is I’m not OK with a child sucking a grown man/woman/anyone’s tongue,” she said.

Nilanjana Bhowmick, an Indian journalist and commentator, said “there is a difference between sticking out your tongue and asking a minor to suck it!”

+3

Report comment
(1y)
(edited)

@..box.. I read that the translation may have been off?

I don't feel it was in any way a wise or beneficial thing to do, even if it was misinterpreted.

Then again, I don't think the pope holding private meetings with survivours of papal abuse one on one is in any way respectful or wise either.

Cultural differences are something that run deeper than I can expand on here, and are many times the subject of intense condemnation, without justification.

I examined some of the Tibetan sources aside from the DL incident here.

There could be a huge translation error by someone not immersed in the culture.

Nevertheless, I cringed at the incident.

It was a hugely negative thing, and it wouldn't be the first.

The Dalai Lama also endorsed the NXIVM cult leader, Keith Raniere, who is serving time for sexual abuse of minors on multiple counts.

I don't have the answers.

+2

Report comment
(1y)
(edited)

@..box.. There is a vast, canyon of difference between "translation" and "interpretation".

For instance, to translate the word "woke" without using the skills of interpretation, would lead to "being awake, aware, etc.". In years to come, translations will not yield truth.

Interpreters immerse themselves in culture.

None of the critical opinions are gleaned from true interpretation.

I applaud the work of your examples, but they do not understand Nepalese culture in total. In fact, just the opposite. They have another motive.

An entire world watched something that perhaps cannot be understood through the monocle of translation alone.

These are merely real issues to consider very seriously.

To condemn casually, without full understanding, is far more grievous action.

Nevertheless, I am not making any statement so abrupt as to condemn a person who has done so much good so quickly, nor will I ignore victims of abuse, like myself.

@DontSpeak It's incredible when something is put in the wrong context how it can literally cause someone's death. Social media is always stirring the pot or causing hair on fire hatred

Report comment
(1y)
(edited)

How is this any different? Seriously?

THIS is child abuse in the western world. It involves nonconsensual sexual contact. The fact that the child voluntarily consented is irrelevant given the fact it is a minor. Depending on the jurisdiction it may be charged either as a felony or as a less serious misdemeanor offense, subject to the circumstances and on the existence of a prior criminal record.

Drag story time involves reading. And last I checked, there is no law prohibiting either reading or what may be unpleasant to your eyes (and ears).

Quite the contrary. The law protects the rights of persons regardless of sexual orientation and gender disposition. And any discussion to the contrary advocates and promotes discrimination. You dont like what you see? Look in another direction.

+8

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(1y)
(edited)

@JudgeDredd I found the dialectics between you and Rider more important than the thread alone. It reminded me the dialectics and distinctions between discrimination and exclusion, in general and not specifically for this incident and because my English suck and overall its very hard for me to express my thoughts i post a link related to what I say : thinkqueerly.com/the-problem-of-...

My personal opinion about similar dialectics include more philosophical approaches and my readings are in part from neo-philosophers like Taleb, German and Spanish neophilosophers which conclude in the political aspects of the main disputes which, my personal estimation, is more important and thus I think nothing is written on marble and we will watch a lot of social changes in the future, hopefully towards a better world. |Will be insane to post links and readings for this purpose here. To me in practical terms nothing is well as given for now, neither for secular or public use
Read more

+1

Report comment
(1y)
(edited)

@JudgeDredd My most colourful memories of stories and my subsequent intense love of language, reading and writing included being's of unknown and undescribed sexual orientation.

Adults with paranoid fear have forgotten that James and the Giant Peach had insects who loved, nurtured, and encouraged the human child more than his own earthly "clan".

Brilliant writing and reading voices inspire the best in us all.

Fear is what has made the Ukraine war even possible today.

Long live diversity!!!!

+1

top expert
Report comment
(1y)

The western media tries to put a sick twist to something that is really a none story.
My granddad as a joke would have me sat on his knee and he would fire his dentures at me right from him mouth, scaring the bejesus out of me.
The media muppets and their follower of today would be screaming child abuse, anything to get the masses triggered.

+3

Hide 3 replies...
Report comment
(1y)

@payno Learn to spell: "non-story". A "none story" isn't an actual expression.

Geesh you are lost in your own prejudices and scarily supported by a world of hate and upvotes based on the same.

Then again, I consider the insular quality of all these NON-statements and lack of balanced discourse.

No background, only Youtube nonsense.

Report comment
(1y)

@DontSpeak Oh a spelling Nazi who will use a typo to try an belittle anyone they disagree with, very much a far left Hitler, shame on ewe, smiley

Moderator notice from JudgeDredd (1y)
+4

Report comment
(1y)

@payno LOL at EWE. Baaaahahaha

Internet slang was developed to make less keystrokes for words in typing.

All you did was create your own way of converting a word with 3 letters to another word with 3 letters.

Politics are NOT allowed on the site and the mention of Hitler alongside that is abominable.

top expert
Report comment
(1y)

I don't agree with Drag story time though, no problem with trans, but i don't see these people reading to children as helpful, they are a distraction to the books that is read, save it for panto where it belongs.
We are all constrained by limitations, even trans, they can be who they want up to a point, just like all of us.

+5

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(1y)

@payno I agree with what you are saying but I see more into this. Let me tell u some things I have in mind more than the incident alone a trans reading stories to minors. The Woman activist that started this campaign , or however is called was Michelle Tea, a San Francisco breed, sexually abused as minor , sex worker at a certain period of her life and in past relation with a person, transgender, which has been Chief Content Manager in Social Media long time - one of similar cases around in social and other mass media industry. I can see many problems here that only political legitimacy covers and not what is commonly accepted from people. I don't know if I use the proper words in English, not a native speaker. How normal this is has become legitimate from certain academic sources which incorporated this in legislation under political influence which was spread afterwards from the stronger to the weakest political system. ...
Read more

+3

Report comment
(1y)

@payno A distraction to you as an adult with prejudices. Not so to a child.

I upvoted your statement out of courtesy, but disagree most deliberately. smiley

+1

top expert
Report comment
(1y)

I think to many try to over complicate this issue, but humans themselves are complicated.
Drag Queens to me are men playing at dress up, real women don't dress that way, but trans women want to emulate real women, so i have no problem with them working with children as long as they are qualified, i doubt many of the kids would even notice unless its pointed out to them.
Drag Queens should stay on the stage, they are not school teachers, they are adult entertainers.

We don't need legislation we just need people to be sensible on both sides.

As ever the extremes of the right and left make achieving harmony impossible.

+7

Hide 18 replies...
Report comment
(1y)
(edited)

@payno How would you know how all women dress?? smiley

That statement that presumes you know how all women dress.

Impossible. smiley

+1

Report comment
(1y)

@DontSpeak We are talking the majority of women in the west, i dont see any women walking the streets dressed like drag artists, they are caricatures of women use for entertainment proposes on stage.

+7

Report comment
(1y)

@payno That's hysterically inaccurate!

Women in the West as a measure for your justification is well smiley

I already know who upvoted you. Don't be confident world outside of the US agrees with you by and large. We don't.

Good luck. I'm out as of now.

+1

Report comment
(1y)

@DontSpeak Women elsewhere have little freedoms and i really couldn't careless if you agree with my comments as i don't see ewe as the font of all knowledge on this subject.
I have no idea who up voted me i don't comment for up votes i think people that do so are sad, smiley

+3

Report comment
(1y)

@payno Women elsewhere???

WTF? Seriously?

Research Finland. Good lord. I rest my case.

We are NOT the United States and we are NOT Westernised culture.

smiley smiley smiley

+1

Report comment
(1y)

@DontSpeak Last time i checked, Finland was part of the West.
I doubt Drag Artist where their outfits in day to day life there either.
You nonsense is quite amusing, nearly as amusing as your fake last words, sniggers, smiley

+3

Report comment
(1y)

@payno Finland, is a Nordic country in Northern Europe.

Geography much?

+2

Report comment
(1y)
(edited)

@DontSpeak European countries are still westernised.
Even Australia is called western even though is a southern as ewe can get, this wasn't about geography, this is about education.
Don't worry i won't seize on this, i will still leave the belittling to ewe, it looks to be important to you for some reason?

Report comment
(1y)

@payno You have a point about the dress sense, I haven't seen any women dressed like this. These are not the worst dressed examples either..

This happened in London a couple of years back, it received such a bad reaction, it was stopped and won't be happening again. I have no idea why any of this is considered a good idea by anyone.

+3

Report comment
(1y)
(edited)

@SimonM Yes should be kept on stage not in schools

+4

Report comment
(1y)

@payno What are you even talking about? Extremist and deliberately indermining nonsense of the Internet?

Goodness, this is just hysterical hype.

It's sad that adults actually depend on Internet hype and rumour and then spread their fear rash as truth.

+1

Report comment
(1y)

@DontSpeak No hype, drag artist are just that and should stay on stage.

Trans are very different, they try to emulate what they can never be.

And nobody except ewe used the word "extremists", makes me wonder the why of of ewe being so triggered.

+3

Report comment
(1y)

@payno Ewe? You mean a female sheep?

WTH.

Learn to spell, first, second, learn to actually do some real research rather than support propaganda.

Sad and scary. {{{{heebiejeebies}}}

+1

Report comment
(1y)

@DontSpeak Yes ewe, Bah, bah, as you follow each other, us realists just say as we see.

+3

Report comment
(1y)

@payno Quite the opposite! That's hysterical.

You believe YouTube nonsense without thinking or researching for yourself. Spewing hate speech as truth is a Monty Python skit, but my guess is you wouldn't realise that they were making fun of people like you.

+1

Report comment
(1y)

@DontSpeak No i don't do youtube, i don't post hate speach i leave that to the far right and your far left philosophies.
As i already said people can be who the want to be, trans are fine as long as they live to their limitations.
Drag artist are performers and should stay on stage.
The only one here spewing hate speech looks to be ewe.

+4

Report comment
(1y)

@payno Point out my "hate speech" specifically, please.

I also have never mentioned politics, mine especially, or yours.

I guess you might need another lesson on the politics ban here, again?

Report comment
(1y)

@SimonM Well they're hair is pretty smiley

master
Report comment
(1y)

ok, the Dalai Lama isnt in it, but these points are anything else than new smiley

+3

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(1y)

@Adrian∞ Thank you!

senior guru
Report comment
(1y)

That's their version of shaking hands.What a gotta post this is smiley

This topic has been closed.

Similar forum topics

FEEDBACK

Join 351,278 users who love movies and TV shows!

208,748 reviews • 122,406 films • 18,479 TV series