About Contact Log in Register!

351,278 users • 209,230 reviews
122,595 films • 18,497 TV series

Exorcism.... (601 views, 54 replies)

This topic has been closed.

God
Report comment
(5y)

Why aren't exorcism films ever with a male?

I cannot think of one male exorcism film (not possession)).

Can you?

Why do you feel that is?

+5

master
Report comment
(5y)

Interesting topic.

There have been male children and adult possessions in shows(i can only think on The exorcist at the moment ofc), my guess is that it is easier to fool others by being/looking innocent and "weak" when possessing a kid or a woman.

It all always centers around males affected realities by the possesed, also somewhere it is mentioned that those closest to god are the devils favourite targets.

+3

Hide 13 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@R3VENANT thats a verry good comment on that topic r3venant and i think thats really the meaning of always taken girls or kids cause they mostly are closer to god and thereby the evils favorit targets.well said friend all a great weekend ...

+2

Report comment
(5y)

@R3VENANT How about a male exorcism film, though?

I know that there are possessions (though still not as many as females) for instance "The Possession of Michael King" for one... but there's NO exorcism involved.

It's weird!

Maybe it's more interesting and a better draw to watch a female get exorcised in that little white frock they all seem to wear universally?

LOL

+2

Report comment
(5y)

@ Could it be the saviour mentality people in that religion have?(talking about Catholics but also Jews have exorcisms)... And their self imposed supremacy.

You know the priests, they give marital and how to raise children advice yet they are supposed to be celibate and not form a family.. and we know the wickedness within their group.

Of course it is all plain theatricality RB, having some sort of control on women to this day is what they want...
An example could be of Mary Magdalene if she even existed at all who is depicted as a whore then she was a disciple and then turned to saint.

+2

Report comment
(5y)

@R3VENANT Gosh, I wonder if it's really that complicated or if Hollywood just sees a young pretty girl in a sheer white nighty screaming and covered in goo as a selling point?

I've actually never given much thought to any of this.

:)

+2

Report comment
(5y)

@ For sure Catholic school left me with some food for thought or you're right, it could all be Hollyweird marketing.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@R3VENANT It's so weird!

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@ I haven't seen it mentioned here but Fox brought out a very good series that starts with Regan MacNeil (little girl from the original Exorcist) all grown up and dealing with "strange" things in her family.

Well towards the end of the second series we have male possession/exorcism ... here is a snippit to whet your appetites

If this is your thiing then I would thoroughly recommend it

dosmovies.com/watch_tv_show/The_Exorcist....

+2

Report comment
(5y)

@..box.. It's a pretty good show, I've seen both seasons.

And if I remember correctly, it does have a male exorcism!

Can anyone else verify that?

Thanks for the reminder, Boxie! :)

+2

Report comment
(5y)

@ Verify? Look at the video above for verification.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@..box.. Lol that's not what I meant.

Never mind.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@ Don't tell me Le Box has b*xed it up again? Please verify ... over and out.

+3

Report comment
(5y)

@R3VENANT First thing to understand is back in those times women had no power. Mary on the other hand was very powerful in her own right when it came to the leadership of the disciples. It was 'man' who wrote the bible that made her into a whore. If I can suggest to have an open mind and do your own research on the matter and maybe learn the truth on how your last sentence became what it is today. P.S. Be careful you might not like what you find.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@ Seems to be a uniform of sorts...

+2

top expert
Report comment
(5y)

the very fact that people are talking about the trope of genders involved now is because of the exorcist tv series, which only proves the narrative is being driven by the entertainment industry itself. there is no use putting logic or reason to this subject, when it is really the intention of whomever is responsible for repeatedly producing the content supporting these themes that you should question.

+3

Hide 3 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@uunbound I actually wasn't trying to do any of that. lol

I was watching yet another exorcism film last night, and the notion popped into my head.

It's just a fun topic for me.

Can you name even one male exorcism film?

I can't. :)

+3

Report comment
(5y)

@ 'Exorcist 3' actually comes close to that. Father Karras (from the original film) was resurrected by the same demonic entity, only the soul placed inside him was that of a serial killer which the demon Pazuzu had also possessed during his own life.
long story short: Father Karras spends the film locked in a hospital room, and Pazuzu uses the killers soul to possess other patients and use them to kill people before returning the soul back into Karras' body again.
when the actual exorcism scene finally takes place, it is with the possessed Father Karras in his room.

+2

Report comment
(5y)

@uunbound Very true!

Well spotted. Thank you. :)

+2

senior guru
Report comment
(5y)

Young/teen girls are supposed to be the very definition of innocence and incorruptableness (is that even a word?) in traditional western/christian society, especially if you go back to a time when horror films like 'The Exorcist' and 'Carrie' were first released.

Because what could be more shocking to the average movie going audience at that time than seeing some young/teen girl actively swearing at a priest and puking bile and ectoplasm everywhere while her head spins 360 degrees all while floating above her bed, or having her set fire to her school/town and killing everyone in a murderous revenge filled rage using only her psychic/telekinetic powers? (N.B. girls are supposedly actually more likely to have telekinetic abilities than boys)

Thus, if it were a young male character in either of those key roles, then both of those films, and other similar films, would not be/have been anywhere nearly as shocking to the audience.

But given Hollywoods ever increasing penchant for squeezing out more and more remakes in their snowflake world free of gender stereotypes, it wouldn't surprise at all if they took a punt at having a male lead in 'Carrie' or 'The Exorcist' if they remade those films right now, though it's unlikely the films would be received all that well.

+2

Hide 6 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@Lurkio to have young men on-screen again and wreaking unholy havoc to avoid pigeonholing women in those roles - now that would be ironic! smiley

+2

Report comment
(5y)

@Lurkio The remakes would flop.

+2

Report comment
(5y)

@Lurkio Fair play... but name even ONE male exorcism?

Also, there are TONS of male possessions, so the theory of watching females swear and get all crazy being more attractive doesn't pan out logically...it's that they don't get exorcised, and the females do get a lot of that...

For instance, these are a few male possession films (or films where male possession is present), The Possession of Michael King; The Evil Dead; Ghostbusters; Night of the Demons; The Stuff; The Shining; The Amityville Horror; etc...

So male possession is indeed well received (I'm not trying to be contrary or pick on you, these are just my observations based on the huge number of male possession films out there), the males just aren't exorcised... hmmmm. smiley smiley

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@ No, you're right, there are examples of male possession in film and TV for sure, and certainly they do indeed work very effectively indeed.

But your observation at the end there is also true. In film and TV land, there generally seems to be an attempt made to save a possessed (particularly young/teen) female character, or at least giving her an option of being maybe being saved or saving/redeeming herself; whereas male characters tend to be written to be so completely and utterly malevolent that the only option seems to be to attempt to kill the character AND the possessing spirit (where there is one).

So in the case of the original 'The Exorcist' film, every effort was made by both priests to free the young girl from her possession, even despite all of the things that were happening to her and that she was doing to try to distract and stop the priests from doing their job.
Read more

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@Lurkio As a Stephen King fan since I was a tot... "Carrie" is telekineses, not possession (that's why I didn't mention it); in the "Shining" it is a possession (despite what Stanley Kubrick was trying to do, he couldn't change the true story).

Jack Torrance is possessed by the "Hotel", and actually doesn't die... he's absorbed, so no exorcism (unless you read Dr. Sleep).

I just find it really interesting. Maybe I'm slow on the uptake, but I'd never really noticed it cognizantly before.

If Hollywood is running out of ideas, I think I've got one for them.

lol

+3

Report comment
(5y)

@ Find a good lawyer and make sure you get a decent deal for it. smiley

+2

senior guru
Report comment
(5y)

The Omen, you could class trying to destroy Damiens soul with the seven Daggers of Megiddo as an excorcism and as he's a reincarnation of himself he's not technically possessed.

+3

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(5y)

@RandomOne Nice one, and good observation.

I'd thought a lot about that one, too.

I feel it falls at least partially into the category of an attempted exorcism.

...and everyone loves that story, "The Omen".

Thank you.

+2

top expert
Report comment
(5y)

THE EXORCIST was based on a true story. It was a boy that needed an exorcism in real life. They changed it to a girl for the actual film.

+1

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@mackone technically author William Blatty did that when he wrote the novel, though i think he had the notion of it becoming a film in mind.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@mackone That's actually still one of (if not THE) best exorcisms in film out there (especially the remastered copies, they are amazing!).

I would be interested in seeing it re-done with a boy. Definitely. :)

+2

God
Report comment
(5y)

Women are WAY more evil than men. They require exorcisms more often. smiley

+4

Hide 4 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@bondojoe Is that all true now?? I mean c'mon lol!

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@bondojoe Bahahahahaha.

smiley smiley smiley

"No soup for you!"

smiley smiley smiley

smiley

+2

Report comment
(5y)

@bondojoe Yup, they're reading your post like

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@RandomOne Like I wrote "No (pea) soup for you!" lololol

+2

God

Very good observation. 🤷

+2

Hide 3 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@◦•●◉✿♡Momof3αηgєℓѕ♡✿◉●•◦ Thanks. It took me long enough... like most of my life so far! smiley smiley smiley

+2

Report comment
(5y)

@ it was a good mental exercise* for us all ;)

+2

Report comment
(5y)

@uunbound Yep, and it continues!

haha!

God
Report comment
(5y)

I kinda overlooked "The Amityville Horror" (original one) because although the boy is possessed, it's the house the priest comes to exorcise.... but it's close.

Unless I missed something?

+1

God
Report comment
(5y)

And what about "The Haunting in Connecticut"? Does he get exorcised? I cannot remember.

+1

senior guru

The Rite 

Is the only movie I have seen where a male is been exorcised if that's what you call it! But there was a catch and well the main possessed person needing the exorcism was a women!

I think why it's normally women that are possessed in movies because it's your typical gender stereotypes, Hollywood is more comfortable seeing the women in the powerless position, having to be rescued by a man, and because women can do crazy and hysterical better than a man and like to be seen doing explicit things! Could you imagine the exorcist if say Regan was a young boy, say like Gary Coleman lol and he's saying to the priest f*** me f*** me and shoving a crucifix up his ass! There would probably be victims of sexual abuse by priest, sueing Hollywood or it would just be the butt of all jokes oh look a priest back to his old tricks! The boy wasn't even possessed he's just angry oh and if he was a black boy to ohhhh man lol 😂

+2

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(5y)

@⋆☆Danielle☆⋆ Well spotted! I'd completely forgotten about that one!

Also spot on about the exorcist and the switching of roles.

It's kind of baffling. lol

senior guru

It's a conspiracy! Lol smiley

This topic has been closed.

Similar forum topics

FEEDBACK

Join 351,278 users who love movies and TV shows!

209,230 reviews • 122,595 films • 18,497 TV series