This site exists on your donations. Donate here
Switch theme
About Contact Log in Register!

351,278 users • 208,394 reviews
122,276 films • 18,454 TV series

Denzel Washington's Acting Abilities or Lack Thereof (385 views, 2 replies)

This topic has been closed.

guru
Report comment
(2y)

I was just watching American Gangster and finally noticed something that bothers me about Denzel’s acting. Before I continue I should first say that I enjoy his screen presence and his movies immensely… however he seems to rely on beverages and cutlery a lot. He’s always drinking something between lines, cleaning his hands with a napkin, pouring sugar (which I think served a purpose in American Gangster), adjusting a spoon, passing someone a coffee, chewing food and swallowing before addressing someone in the room. For me it feels like a little heavy handed, like something a lesser actor would resort to in order to bolster their ability to tell a story.

Compare this to Joaquin Phoenix who I feel just carries himself with his posture and eyes… maybe the occasional cigarette. Personally I feel that this is a lot more difficult to accomplish and more captivating.

What are your thoughts about Denzel? Is he kind of overrated, and has elevated himself using these techniques… or are his technique actually a legitimate way of enhancing a performance?

+1

senior master
Report comment
(2y)

I personally like Mr Washington much more. I liked Mr Phoenix impersonation of J. Cash a bit but i still think Mrs Whitherspoon's performance was far more better in that film. As i have watched Mr Phoenix in many films I still haven't developed feelings about him, which of course represents my own taste. We all have different tastes and I guess they all have to be respected in some way.

My impressions of Washington's play is that he is acting body and soul. I find his face expressions more expressive and his body moves plenty. He has control over his body moves and many times moves like a martial artist in the stage. I think. In comparison with Mr Phoenix I'd relate easier to a role of Mr Washington in a film.

After I have read your post I watch short vids of Mr Washington and trying to find out if he is excessive in moves or not. In films I had the feeling his body was in readiness of acting. But as I said above it's taste. We all got different.

+1

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(2y)

@Nasos For example in this video he moves the chair a bit to the front. A Man in a serious dispute could do such moves but it could also be a move of providence - making space- of the next happening, his fight with the other man which represents an artist that is adjusting brilliantly the circumstances in live for a better end

+1

This topic has been closed.

Similar forum topics

FEEDBACK

Join 351,278 users who love movies and TV shows!

208,394 reviews • 122,276 films • 18,454 TV series