This site exists on your donations. Donate here
Switch theme
About Contact Log in Register!

351,278 users • 208,740 reviews
122,405 films • 18,479 TV series

Britain’s rudest (and funniest) place names (718 views, 44 replies)

top expert
Report comment
(1y)

If you are looking for a funny place to live or one that would look hilarious on a business card, look no further than the UK. The Brits, in line with their unique and hilarious humor, saw it fit to give their towns a pervy ambience that would bring endless laughter in electronic form submissions.

This is Western Scotland. Please note how The Cock of Arran points towards Buttock Point. On a side note, we also found the place of origin of our beloved friend BUTTLESS: Assloss smiley

This is Cheshire and West Yorkshire, where Tickle Cock Bridge and Cockintake sound to be real winners smiley

The area around Dover could not be an exception. It has Great Butts, Bushy Bottom, Lower Bush and Juggs Close. I can almost imagine how the UK national tourist board would try to attract visitors there smiley
Read more

+5

senior master
Report comment
(1y)

So glad you found Assloss, indeed I have family near there in Dumbarton.
It proves that buttlessness is genetic and something to be proud of.

smiley smiley smiley

+3

Hide 8 replies...
Report comment
(1y)

@Buttless Not only that, but I also found the birthplace of your brothers:

smiley smiley

+6

@M3g4m1nd smiley smiley smiley Crazy I had no idea about any of these places. Thanks for the geography lesson. I will never think geography as a boring subject ever again smiley smiley

+3

Report comment
(1y)

@💛Yellow_rose1💛 ....and not just geography. The Yellow Pages is where the fun begins:

smiley smiley smiley

+3

@M3g4m1nd smiley smiley smiley wow that should be on that's incredible if such a show existed anymore

+4

Report comment
(1y)

@Buttless That's right folks. Here's proof: smiley

+6

Report comment
(1y)

@CitizenD We Buttless people are a proud race. Without back doors [SPOILER].. And apart from the kilted ones there are a few Irish and Antipodeans also.

+3

Report comment
(1y)

@Buttless I'll drink to that! Cheers to all buttless people.

+2

senior master
Report comment
(1y)

And you missed a few in the South of England; the River Piddle near to Shaggs and Scratchy Bottom.
What a lot of deviants must live there.

+4

Hide 9 replies...
Report comment
(1y)

@Buttless I am quite certain I missed more than a few, though Scratchy Bottom is definitely something I shouldn't have smiley smiley smiley smiley

+2

Report comment
(1y)
(edited)

@M3g4m1nd Scratchy Bottom beats Brokenwind, but Shitterton takes the prize... for unfortunate place names
www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/scrat...

"Crapstone, a picturesque village on the western edge of Dartmoor in Devon, came fourth in the survey of 1,773 people, ahead of Golden Balls in Oxfordshire, Ugley in Essex, Crackpot in North Yorkshire, Backside in Aberdeenshire, Great Snoring in Norfolk and Happy Bottom in Dorset.

"If there were an Olympics for unlikely place names, Britain would surely be good for a medal, if not the gold", said Debra Chatfield, a family historian at findmypast.co.uk."

I love Great Snoring and Golden Balls. smiley smiley

+3

Report comment
(1y)

@CitizenD Golden Balls smiley smiley smiley smiley Love it smiley

You know of the latest craze in yacht ownership? Apparently yacht owners are looking for registries that are less than ordinary sounding and try to humorously combine them with their yacht's name. Bloody Bay and Bikini have been the most popular registries so far. Can you imagine how much fun this would have been with registry names like Crackpot or Golden Balls? smiley smiley

+2

Report comment
(1y)

@M3g4m1nd But will they be laughing when their hull’s been ruptured and they have to send a distress signal? Imagine:

YACHT: MAYDAY! MAYDAY!

COASTGUARD: Identify your position, name and port of regestry, please.

YACHT: 42 degrees south of Sumatra! Name! Crackpot!

COASTGUARD: Yeah sure (hangs up). Bloody time waster.

+2

Report comment
(1y)

@M3g4m1nd My boat was registered in Looe, Cornwall.

+1

Report comment
(1y)

@Buttless Was your boat by any chance named "Looky"? smiley

Report comment
(1y)

@M3g4m1nd We talked about names like 'Looe or bust' but settled on something ordinary.

+1

Report comment
(1y)

@Buttless A missed opportunity smiley

+1

senior guru
Report comment
(1y)

No comment

+2

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(1y)

@DemandingFemale I saw that on the map. Didn't wanna comment on it either smiley smiley

+1

senior guru
Report comment
(1y)

+4

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(1y)

@SimonM Interestingly, this plaque comes with a story behind....:

Tickle Cock bridge gets rude name back

Residents of Castleford in Yorkshire have won a battle for a landmark bridge to be given back its original name of Tickle Cock – after the local council prudishly changed it to ‘Tittle Cott’.

Tickle Cock bridge has held its name for generations, thanks to the railway underpass’s popularity among couples as prime spot for a cheeky fumble.

But Wakefield district council officials became shy when a regeneration scheme in the area was being filmed for Channel 4, and a plaque was put up with the bowdlerised name of ‘Tittle Cott’.

But angry residents demanded that the name be changed back to the rude version. Castleford Area Voice for the Elderly, a local group for people over 50, complained that they were ‘offended’ by the name-change.

And the council relented, and erected a replacement plaque with ‘Tickle Cock’ back in its rightful place. Local author Brian Lewis welcomed the move, saying: ‘I feel we should never alter names, and Tickle Cock has a very clear message behind it.’
Read more

+3

Report comment
(1y)

@M3g4m1nd I remember that being in the news now you've reminded me. smiley smiley

+1

senior master
Report comment
(1y)

Britain only??

This is for Irish-born and reared Box! dosmovies.com/user/livinginabox/...

+2

Hide 4 replies...
Report comment
(1y)

@DontSpeak I am in awe of the proximity between Bastardstown, Horetown and Fannystown. Thats definitely an area I would like to visit smiley smiley

+1

Report comment
(1y)

@M3g4m1nd Box should have some recommendations for gas, food and lodging, I imagine....

smiley smiley smiley smiley

+1

Report comment
(1y)
(edited)

@DontSpeak Love the map.

I recognise a few of the places. I even had a cat called Muff (after the town at the top).

Actually there is a "Cockhill" - not too far from Muff.

AND I appreciate the pixelated version of my avatar - in order to keep my identity secret, I presume. I nearly didn't recognise myself.

+1

Report comment
(1y)

@..box.. Yes, the pixelation was entirely intentional! 😁😁😁😁😁

skilled
Report comment
(1y)

I'm surprised Lickey End never made it on to the list.

+1

guru
Report comment
(1y)

+2

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(1y)

@max_black Would that be 12 cocks or half a cock? smiley

+1

Report comment
(1y)

@M3g4m1nd UK still uses miles for distance.
So that is half a mile (=804.672m) of cock.
smiley

+2

senior master
Report comment
(1y)

Twatt, Orkney. Great address!

+3

senior guru
Report comment
(1y)

+5

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(1y)

@CitizenD if there is no Wank then we must Wichsen in Wichsenstein.

+1

Report comment
(1y)

@CitizenD Ohhh....the jokes are writing themselves with that one

smiley smiley

+3

senior guru
Report comment
(1y)

+6

senior master
Report comment
(1y)
(edited)

A map (and translation) of obscene place names in Finland!
The likely-hood of origin of these names is that locals made them up when non natives were asking for directions and also just to get them on the "map" [such as it was]. In other words, it's simply the Finn sense of humour, which isn't always appreciated by others, I've come to learn.

+5

Hide 3 replies...
Report comment
(1y)
(edited)

@DontSpeak smiley smiley smiley
Thank you, I immediately crossed Shitting while running, The Island that Sarah defecated, Piss Lake, Swamp of the moldy Ass and Testicle Danger off my travel list.

+2

Report comment
(1y)

@DontSpeak I cant help but wonder.....Is Fart Lake the nature's equivalent of a Jacuzzi? smiley smiley

+3

Report comment
(1y)

@M3g4m1nd I am voting an emphatic YES!! smiley

+1

senior master
Report comment
(9mo)

How is this for a postal address?

+1

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(9mo)

@Buttless Yes, its real.

Similar forum topics

FEEDBACK

Join 351,278 users who love movies and TV shows!

208,740 reviews • 122,405 films • 18,479 TV series