This site exists on your donations. Donate here
Switch theme
About Contact Log in Register!

351,278 users • 208,720 reviews
122,397 films • 18,478 TV series

A third option for theme: A pale, orange tinted background  (1057 views, 26 replies)

This topic has been closed.

master
Report comment
(5y)

<br> Research has found people staring at blue tinted screens extensively are often plagued with sleep issues, insomnia, as a result. <br> Lots of folks (like me) watch TwoMovies late at night to catch up on their favorites and chat with friends before going to bed. <br> <br> www.thesleepdoctor.com/2017/11/0... <br> <br> ''The study of healthy young adults found exposure to blue light from computer screens between the hours of 9-11 p.m.: <br> 1. shortened their total sleep time <br> 2. significantly suppressed melatonin production <br> 3. diminished sleep quality, by increasing the frequency of nighttime awakenings'' <br> <br> Would TwoMovies consider offering an option for a light-orange shaded theme background so that when we are viewing late night that, after we log off, we can more easily get our brains to move on to sleep state? <br> THANKS! <br> <br> BTW another helpful link for nighttime viewers affected by bluewave light is here : <br> justgetflux.com/news/pages/v4/we...

Hide 5 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@ThomasinaPaine Isn't using the night time setting on monitors and phones essentially the same thing? (Not being cheeky pet, just curious if you know.) I use the night time setting on both and it has made a huge difference.

+3

Report comment
(5y)

@ Yah I posted that link to f.lux in case ...but you are one of the 'savvy ones' lol...and my old Toshiba doesn't have those settings that Google could find :/ Lots of old puters out there... <br> WTH..so far we have BRIGHT white and blue and DARK black...duh not a lot of choices, ist? <br> Besides, pale orange is considered a 'friendly' color, soothing. ..and it keeps me from being a hothead when it comes to politics...lol (no offense taken, Rav :)

Report comment
(5y)

@ThomasinaPaine Oh, that's good to know! We always want to keep TP friendly!

Report comment
(5y)

@ Hey Rav, was that a joke or was that some of that Irish Passive Aggressive you have mentioned? lol...grrr...

Report comment
(5y)

@ThomasinaPaine Me Irish humour .... of course I want you to be happy and twas a joke .... you know me. I wuv ya. x

+1

master
Report comment
(5y)

I just read stuff, think of stuff that might be interesting or helpful and post. Not trying to do anything but help viewers like me..and even those UNlike me..lol. It's a take or leave situation, no problem either way. smiley

+1

God
Report comment
(5y)

smiley

master
Report comment
(5y)

Not sure what that means but...that could be a good start. <br> <br> Just outline 'Two' and the little 'you are here' indicator bar thingy in black or blue for visibility or just switch them to blue to contrast, and you're almost there ;> <br> heh <br>

Hide 5 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@ThomasinaPaine What? Just use the black theme if that helps any.

Report comment
(5y)

@PureVodka🍺 I mentioned the black theme being almost there in jest...it;s honestly not pleasant to use and causes eyestrain. Halation causes the white letters on black to 'fuzz' on the edges and the eyes are having to adjust, switch back and forth on different websites or pages,as the iris is expanding or contracting accordingly to let in more or less light. <br> Visual Display Terminals (pp. 137-142). London: Taylor & Francis <br> <br> The reason why this matters is because of focus. As this article on UXMovement states, "white stimulates all three types of color sensitive visual receptors in the human eye in nearly equal amounts." It causes the eye to focus by tightening the iris. Since the eye is focused, dark letter forms on light backgrounds are easier to read. When using a dark background with strong light letter forms, the iris opens to allow more light in, but that causes letter forms to blur. ...
Read more

Report comment
(5y)

@ThomasinaPaine And ideally for aforesaid reasons pale orange would be the best theme color to switch to nighttimes to relieve bluewave light interference with sleep. <br> <br> <br>

Report comment
(5y)

@ThomasinaPaine Are you using a CRT, also you can get films to put over the screen i think, no idea what they called, think they for old monitors........good look with getting it sorted. :)

Report comment
(5y)

@PureVodka🍺 I may have misinterpreted your remark about the CRT sounding a little smarmy, and if so, I apologize. And my Toshiba laptop isn't THAT old...lol <br> I may keep it tho, it will be a collector's item in 40+ years or so (I'll leave it to somebody..lol)

top expert
Report comment
(5y)

One thing to bear in mind is that web designers also have to keep other factors in their remit if they want to ensure accessibility for all. For example those with dyslexia will find certain colours and fonts difficult to follow. Those who are colour blind will have a similar problem, especially if the colours used are too close together on the spectrum. <br> <br> Whilst it's nice to think we could all have our 'ideal' there are limitations in order to give as wide ranging access as possible for all. X

+3

master
Report comment
(5y)

That makes sense. I might be inclined to think that this idea simply applied would not impact either of those groups adversely, since text color/font would remain unchanged ? But the intensity of text contrast on very pale mango color... hmm...I just honestly have no idea how that would work in a cross-wired brain. Pale enough and un'blued' though, perhaps not appreciably ?...hmm.... <br> Thanks for your considered response :)

master
Report comment
(5y)

@Pure Vodka <br> Understand, please. I ran into this information online. <br> I have astigmatism and insomnia and was looking for causation and solutions to insomnia. <br> I took the forum heading 'Site Suggestions" to mean just exactly what it says and I shared my findings and offered my idea in good faith that it would be received as a sincerely thought out suggestion. <br> <br> I'm not a coder but I know a few who are...I'll have to ask them how difficult this would be just out of curiosity re: blanket background color change for theme on a website. <br> I honestly didn't think it would be a big deal for a coder...just changing a few digits of code since it was going for a single color background instead of stark bluewhite. But that shows what I know about coding. <br> <br> If it is, in fact, all that difficult, my preferred response from someone would have been "That would be a lot of work." I'm not trying to make the web designer's job harder. <br> <br> Movie websites abound, though, more popping up everyday, and I'd like to see TwoMovies blitz their competition for ease of use and usability, in every way possible, conscious and subconscious. ...
Read more

top expert
Report comment
(5y)

With regard to the issues I mentioned above in respect to dyslexia and colour blindness, I will add a couple of links which offer useful information, but will summarise key points below: <br> <br> * Avoid white backgrounds for paper, computer and visual aids. White can appear too dazzling. Use cream or a soft pastel colour. Some dyslexic people will have their own colour preference. <br> <br> * Use a plain, evenly spaced sans serif font such as Arial and Comic Sans. Alternatives include Verdana, Tahoma, Century Gothic, Trebuchet. <br> <br> * Font size should be 12-14 point. Some dyslexic readers may request a larger font.  <br> <br> * Use dark coloured text on a light (not white) background.  <br> <br> * Avoid green and red/pink as these are difficult for colour-blind individuals. <br> <br> <br> <br> www.bdadyslexia.org.uk/common/cke... <br> <br> uxmovement.com/content/6-surprisi... <br> <br> webdesign.tutsplus.com/articles/... <br> <br> There is a LOT of information about the subject on the net, and I have several books with research studies, case studies, web design information and legal requirements. <br> <br> It is worth noting (I'm not sure how other countries' laws view it), that The UK Disability Discrimination Act of 1995 states that it is unlawful for “a provider of services” to discriminate against a disabled person in failing to comply with its provisions. <br> <br> The wording of the Act did not mention on-line services specifically. ...
Read more

+2

master
Report comment
(5y)

Thank you VERY much for the wealth of information you have provided! Your summary was very interesting indeed, and, although I have not had a chance yet to do link follow up (thanks!) it appears that both dyslexic people and people with insomnia at least might benefit from a 3rd theme option in a pale mango (as they say, 'not white ') and that would not be a shade of red or pink. Might work for this purpose. If I am interpreting this wrongly, I ask you to correct me. Tomorrow I will take advantage of all you have offered and follow those links. Thanks again for your kind attention to this suggestion, Asmodeus. <br> <br> [Not sure who is downvoting my comments, but...sticks and stones...and downvoting....lol] My intention is to help, not harm.

top expert
Report comment
(5y)

Cream is actually the recommended colour (with black) for best ease of reading for those with a dyslexia diagnosis, and has been proven in a number of studies to be the combination chosen most frequently by them. This is just one example available on the net (I have others in printouts, but not publicly accessible that I've found unfortunately). <br> <br> www.w3.org/WAI/RD/2012/text-cust...

+3

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(5y)

@Asmodeus I think cream would be an excellent alternative to pale orange softened white color that probably would work for both groups of visually challenged and also lessen the harshness for people who suffer from insomnia like me.

God
Report comment
(5y)

Sorry did not read the post above properly, my bad. <br> <br> """Pure Vodka,sorry to say, you almost seem more interested in bashing* me than considering my idea with any respect. I regret that."""? <br> <br> <br> dosmovies.com/forum/thread/Where-do-you-.... <br> <br> And no i've not been downvoting any of your post, but why someone downvoted the screenshot i posted when i'm just trying to " help " (like in the thread above) beats me. <br>

+3

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(5y)

@PureVodka🍺 I didn't think you had downvoted my comments...I think I know who did. It really matters not a whit and surely doesn't contribute to the conversation :P <br> Hope the week ahead for you is more fun and games than work. :)

master
Report comment
(5y)

Well @Asmodeus and @Pure Vodka, I thank you! I believe enough relevant info was shared -especially you Asmodeus part about UK discrimination regulations as t.hey pertain to the net was very interesting, I had no idea UK thought that thru as far as the net! <br> <br> The designer can consider it or not as s/he wishes. ~~ :) <br> And I see that f.lux program has suddenly started adjusting the tint on my screen to pale orange as the night wears on...wow. <br> WTH...one way or another. Thanks again guys!

admin
Report comment
(5y)

I think light / dark theme is enough for 90% of people. Most of sites don't offer any design changes...

+1

master
Report comment
(5y)

As you wish. <br> f.lux program is an option for those who suffer from difficulty sleeping after being online. It gradually reduces bluewave exposure by shading screen as the night wears on.

This topic has been closed.

Similar forum topics

FEEDBACK

Join 351,278 users who love movies and TV shows!

208,720 reviews • 122,397 films • 18,478 TV series