This site exists on your donations. Donate here
Switch theme
About Contact Log in Register!

351,278 users • 208,638 reviews
122,376 films • 18,475 TV series

Psychology 101.4 - The How of Happiness by Sonja Lyubomirsky. (294 views, 19 replies)

This topic has been closed.

senior master
Report comment
(1y)
(edited)

www.dropbox.com/s/4sfxsrnh2zssnm...

For some unknown technical reason there is no preview but it can be obtained inthe usual way.

+5

senior master
Report comment
(1y)

+4

Report comment
(1y)

Happy people are especially hard to deal with when I've just gotten up. I do not trust them.
Grumbling makes ME happy. smiley

+2

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(1y)
(edited)

@Vantongerloo

melancholic greetings. we all go to hell soon.

+2

senior master
Report comment
(1y)

+1

master
Report comment
(1y)

+1

senior master
Report comment
(1y)

I am interested in the distinction between the facade of happiness that people project to the exterior and the interior happiness that people nurture.

What makes you happy?

A place, a season, a gathering, in company or alone, an activity?

+1

Hide 4 replies...
Report comment
(1y)

@..box.. All of those! And the ability to review situations to find the value in whatever happens, even if it takes a good while to get there. Knowing change is always around the corner makes everything an adventure if it doesn't kill ya.

Report comment
(1y)

@(⌐■_■) Reflecting on past events in order to understand the emotional responses to present situations? It is a brave person who does it.

As the years pass, I find change less and less appealing. Even travelling away from home is an effort.

I am afraid I am running out of adventure fuel smiley

+1

Report comment
(1y)

@..box.. Remarkable that people prefer to ignore (even lie) about their internal processes instead of developing them... isn't it? POV is presently villified as a means of manipulation (which it is of course) rather than a variety of ways to observe, converse and conclude. NextGenz have lost the ability to muse and bemuse, can barely be amused. And most certainly kids have lost the ability to function ALONE. Oregon Trail would be littered with millenials. smiley

+1

Report comment
(1y)

@..box.. One of the most thought-provoking statements I have ever experienced, was also the simplest:

We should be less concerned about attaining "happiness" and more concerned about ensuring the health of our children, our world and ourselves.

If you think about it, the sole and often tunnel vision of the pursuit of "happiness" leads directly to the chaos of all sorts of addiction at the cost of health, of the entire planet.

Just something to ponder.

Happiness is a by-product.

It is not attained on its own.

+1

senior master
Report comment
(1y)
(edited)

This book came up on my radar as it was recommended by the Canadian philosopher Paul Thagard in an interview where he reviews 5 books on The Meaning of Life.

What makes Sonja Lyubomirski’s book different is that it’s actually based on scientific research on what makes people happy. She’s part of a research programme that’s been very active in psychology in the last ten years, called positive psychology. Traditionally psychologists were more likely to study people’s unhappiness – problems like depression and anxiety. In the last decade there’s been a very strong movement to turn that around and use the methods of scientific psychology to try to look at the more positive side. Lyubomirski has been one of the leaders in that movement, along with people like Martin Seligman. But the key thing is you don’t get to make things up – you’ve got to do studies and experiments to try to figure out what actually does make people happy. And I think her findings are maybe not shocking, but they’re very interesting and very useful.
Read more

+1

Hide 5 replies...
Report comment
(1y)

@..box.. Philosophy is reason, though sometimes those with an undermining sense of unity, see their prejudice(s) as reason.

This book was a good read, and Canadian Paul Thagard's overall approach is a hopeful on ("...the abandonment of many traditional ideas about the soul, free will, and immortality, and shows how brain science matters for fundamental issues about reality, morality, and the meaning of life...") is essential.

I see a lot of casual talk here by others on how "peace and goodwill toward all man/woman" is essential, then they rally with hatred and condemnation against inclusion.

It's not just hypocritical; it's the complete enablement of WHY things are so bad. REFERENCE: "Not one of us!"

The pendulum of life swings wide. It must, to become balanced in the long term.

Thanks for your latest reply.

Report comment
(1y)

@DontSpeak Are you suggesting that this book may benefit some of our good members who may be considered "enablers"?

I understood everything up to that point but got lost with REFERENCE: "Not one of us!"

What does the reference refer to in this situation? Is it a slogan or chant for some grouping or faction?

Your pendulum of life reminds me of Foucault's Pendulum by Italian writer and philosopher Umberto Eco, a novel which (to my shame) I have started to read three times and have yet to finish.

+1

Report comment
(1y)
(edited)

@..box.. Apologies for the veiled regerence/quote. I oft witness the behaviour that is reflected in the Science Fiction novel "The Body Snatchers" (Jack Finney, 1954) and film adaptations (most notably 1956 and 1978). Individuality and love are completely obliterated by homogenisation and sterilisation of same. I hope I'm communicating this effectively. This, "not one of us" permeation is called "woke" these days. I've especially noted/witnessed this by fundamentalists who preach love and goodwill, but openly critisise, with disdain, [disgusting and open] hatred toward differences. The pendulum of life needs to swing wide before it comes to centre. Suppression of truth has a price in this respect.

I love that you mention Umberto Eco's "Foucault's Pendulum" (1988, 641 pages)!

It is/was one of the most difficult books I've ever read, to be honest. ...
Read more

Report comment
(1y)

@DontSpeak All cleared up.

Perhaps I'll give Umberto Eco's "Foucault's Pendulum" another whirl this year. I didn't get past 60 pages the last three time so maybe bite sizes next time and I may have to call on you for explanations.

+1

Report comment
(1y)

@..box.. Call on me for explanations you say? smiley

Although it seems those first 60 pages seem to be something we have in common!

+1

senior master
Report comment
(1y)

"She talks about a dozen or so happiness activities that are known to make people happier. Things like expressing gratitude, cultivating optimism, not thinking too much about things you shouldn’t be worrying about. Being kind, having social relationships"
I agree a lot with this.
In my humble experience I have too met many indeed ways of people finding their balances and happiness and this would be different for every individual according it's level of self -consciousness, educational loads, genetic predispositions (but as I said already in Adrian's post , the hereditary and it's manifestations is a very difficult area for public talk and explanation) and much more. I haven't really Googled Mrs Ljubomirsky's origin, academic references etc but i will talk from my humble experience in general.

Around the Era of the fall of the Berlin's wall many Eastern educated people found themselves poor and without incomes that would deliver a humane way of living. Back then and without the control of the Soviets suddenly the Eastern Europe was filled with hundred of books of close to conspiracy theories of Alternative Historical facts, Aliens, methods of self-management of stress, self- development etc. The West was already filed up with self-development and management superficial books, using in part social management methods, as studied and analyzed in financial management institutes and in other parts psychology methods borrowed from the modern West methods of Psychoanalysis. And there were also the Alien and Alternative of whatever science books. Gradually Globalization and modern Social groups and parties unified the perception of book writing, market and libraries into a modern Globalized bookshelf. I mentioned my notes about Eastern Europe because this was there the development that brought Europe and the Americas in one bookshelf. I have very little knowledge of what is happening in Asia or Africa in depth.
Read more

+1

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(1y)

@Nasos Thank you for your contribution and would agree wholeheartedly on the dangers of self help books.

I have dipped my toes into mindfulness and positive psychology and found both very helpful at particular points in my life. And they confirmed things that I was already doing without the "labels"

I have however seen people going overboard by constantly seeking the latest trend in self development to excess.

The book above is interesting insofar as it uses scientific research as a basis and I am all about the science.

+1

Report comment
(1y)

@..box.. Yes I Googled her name, she is prof. in the science her books is about!

If lebels means , tags and things other accuse us, I too been through this or perhaps we all get through this at some point. And I think we all get through self - discovery at many points of our lives. Sounds healthy and human.

Thanks again for the post!

+1

This topic has been closed.

Similar forum topics

FEEDBACK

Join 351,278 users who love movies and TV shows!

208,638 reviews • 122,376 films • 18,475 TV series