This site exists on your donations. Donate here
Switch theme
About Contact Log in Register!

351,278 users • 208,704 reviews
122,388 films • 18,477 TV series

Food, Food and ....is it.Food? (784 views, 38 replies)

This topic has been closed.

top expert
Report comment
(4y)

What I consider food, you may not and vice versa. Foods can be very regional or cultural and some may even contain an "Ick factor". I had thought about starting this thread for sometime but never got around to it until Ravenousbird posted this anysubj.com/p/The-50-Weirdest-Fo... That gave me the kick I needed especially after reading the article and discovering how many of those foods I had eaten.
I grew up in a very rural area but we were not poor by any means. My father just believed in harvesting nature and we often ate what he and his brothers hunted. Deer was the most common but we also ate rabbit, squirrel, beaver and the occasional possum so my idea of food is probably different from many people. Before my cancer battles I used to travel a lot and one thing I always did was explore "native" foods.
From the article posted by RB I have had Chicken's feet, Spam (and it's lesser known and delicious cousin Scrapple), Escargots, Tequila worm, Vegemite, pickled egg, steak tartare, frog legs, kangaroo, rattlesnake and turtle (snapper) soup. ...
Read more

+2

God
Report comment
(4y)

I love that article. It's starts out so tame...

...but is very challenging to "consider" as the reader progresses!

+1

Hide 4 replies...
Report comment
(4y)

@ I consider myself an adventurous eater but there were a few things there that made me quiver and not in a good way smiley. Tuna Eyeballs? Ummmmm...No. Hákarl? With that smell? No thank you and this is coming from a girl who ate pigs feet fairly regularly smiley

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@RiverTam Yep, Tuna eyeballs and fermenting shark are NOT on my list ever... nor is anything with "brain"...

smiley

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@ smiley I agree.
When I was a little girl my daddy convinced me there was nothing wrong with eating "Thumper" or "Bambi" and I believe he was right. He never could convince me that eating Bambi's brain was OK though.

Report comment
(4y)

@RiverTam The brains should be used for tanning the hides. Indians have been doing it for centuries.

top expert
Report comment
(4y)

Well, I guess I am one of the few adventurous eaters on here. I thought for sure there would be someone who had tried grasshoppers, grubs, guinea pig.....something not the norm for most people smiley

God
Report comment
(4y)

Rocky Mountain Oysters (Bull testicles). Always went to the Testy Festy in Clinton when I lived in Montana.

Done right they tasted like breaded venison. Done wrong they taste like fried, seasoned rubber.

+1

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(4y)

@dramucom You are one up on my there. I had the opportunity but couldn't get past the "ick factor". Same with ants, grasshoppers and termites. I had the opportunity but couldn't. I think I could now though (the bugs not the "oysters"). smiley

+1

senior guru
Report comment
(4y)

Spam is seen as adventurous? Spam is a delicious! So is Scrapple. Spam is basically a hotdog in a non-cylindrical shape. Scrapple is, more-or-less, pork and sage meatloaf. I used to make something similar with fried bubble 'n squeak.

Pig trotters (feet) were a favourite of my younger brothers. Boiled in apple cider then glazed roasted.

Jellied eels are [were] a popular dish in London. Sold in pie and mash shops and from seafood stands. The latter would also sell cockles and mussels. Eww!

I once had lambs brain at a party in Turkey. It was like something out of Indiana Jones - minus the monkey skull bowls. I wasn't a fan, but when in Rome 'n all that.

Kangaroo was okay. A bit tough and chewy, but I think that was more to do with cooking technique than the actual meat.

Vegemite and Marmite are almost the same thing - both absolutely fking disgusting, LOL. My husband eats tons of the stuff.

There is a UK based company selling gubs and insects. Some supermarkets are stocking them, but you can also buy directly from them online. Crickets, mealworm, grasshoppers, buffalo worms. They come in different forms and flavours. The snack packs (BBQ ones I tried) were like roasted fava beans or nuts.
Read more

+1

top expert
Report comment
(4y)

I have a package of Scrapple in my freezer right now. It's hard to find in many places in the US. It's mostly a Mid-Atlantic states thing. I was also surprised Spam was on the list in the article. It has a bad, almost comical (should we blame Monty Python) reputation.
Never has trotters cooked like that....sounds delicious. The ones I have had (mostly as a kid) were cooked (boiled) with collard greens.
Had eel on a few camping trips when I was young. My brother and mother wouldn't touch it, just my dad and I. I remember (I think...lol) it being a strong, wild flavor which I like.
Vegemite.... Once and that was enough smiley
I have never been able to get over the "ick factor" of brains...I don't know why. I have eaten almost every other part of mammals including tongue but......
The kangaroo I had was a bit tough too

Hide 7 replies...
Report comment
(4y)

@RiverTam Spam fritters are divine. With hot chips, covered in ketchup! Mmmm.

I don't eat any of it now though. Too much fat for me to handle without making everybody in my household suffer the consequences lol.

I ate the lambs brain but drew the line when I was offered goats brain at a wedding where you could clearly see it was a brain. I ate the curry, left the rest *shudder*.

A local farm here sells Ostrich meat. My kids love the sausages and burgers. Wild boar sausages are also really nice.

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@DemandingFemale Wild boar....Mmmmmmm...sounds delish.
Ever try Spam with Pineapple? Just fry in a skillet (mango is optional and great), about a cup of cubed pineapple (and mango if desired), a can of cubed Spam, a few dashes of sea salt, cumin, paprika, garlic powder and serve. Takes about 15 min.
Spam is hugely popular in Hawaii. Something like 7 million cans a year sold there.

Report comment
(4y)

@RiverTam Never tried Spam with pineapple. We usually have pineapple with gammon though.

I would love to try it, but I think it would probably kill me right now lol. I even have some in my freezer that keeps taunting me when I'm getting out the fake mince meat.

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@DemandingFemale I understand. I have had to curb what I eat due to medical reasons and it sticks. I cheat sometimes by "overdosing" certain meds before and after I cheat. Sometimes it works....other times I suffer...A LOT.

Report comment
(4y)

@RiverTam I'm 3 weeks gallbladderless. Fat is NOT my friend. lol

Gluten-bloody-free too.

I miss bread.

+2

Report comment
(4y)

@DemandingFemale My heart goes out. It can't be easy. My diet is very repetitive and that becomes maddening so sometimes I cheat and often suffer for it.

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@RiverTam It is what it is. I hear ya with the repetitiveness of it. It gets very boring and frustrating.

+2

God
Report comment
(4y)

Casu Marzu

As my friends in France joke when people travel there and remark on there being mold in the cheese, "That's not mold!!! Those are worms. smiley " lololololol smiley

+2

Hide 6 replies...
Report comment
(4y)

@ smiley smiley
Maybe serve it with a blindfold to foreigners smiley

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@ I'm not sure I could ever eat something that was still moving. *dry heaves*

+2

Report comment
(4y)

@DemandingFemale Nor should you. smiley

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@ I tried eating "live" octopus once (i.e. the tentacles still wiggling) and couldn't do it. I had eaten it raw before but it was still. The wiggling freaked me out smiley

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@RiverTam Oh my god, poor octopus.

They are very intelligent. I've been diving with them many times.

They are like the most innocent and curious creatures.

God that most have been horrific for it.

smiley

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@ The octopus wasn't really still alive (which is why I put live in quotes) and what we were served was the tentacles, still wiggling.
It happened when I was 13 (1988) in Washington DC. My father was a Vietnam Vet, retired from the Marine Corp. After the Vietnam Veterans Memorial opened he took trips there every few years. The first was just him and Mom, then a trip with my brother and finally just daddy and me.
As fate would have it he ran into an old friend on the trip with my brother, an ARVN (Army of the Republic of Vietnam) officer he new during the war. I wish I could recall his name but it was so long ago. He had escaped Vietnam and moved to America where he opened a restaurant.
We ate there one night and he put out a spread and he and his family joined us. Near the beginning of the meal there was raw squid, octopus, some kind of fish and veggies in a "salad" for lack of a better term. ...
Read more

+1

guru
Report comment
(4y)

When I lived in Australia you could get fresh kangaroo at the grocery store, right next to the beef and chicken. Sometimes they had emu as well, but the 'roo was standard stock. Really good on the barbecue, but because it was very lean you had to be careful how long you cooked it. Gamey, like moose or bear.

I've tried to get kangaroo here in Canada after I came back, but it was never the same. It doesn't freeze well, I guess.

+1

top expert
Report comment
(4y)

i've always wanted to try shark

senior guru
Report comment
(4y)

You mention haggis to some people an there like "no way" haggis neeps n tatties with a whisky sauce whats there not to like?

This topic has been closed.

Similar forum topics

FEEDBACK

Join 351,278 users who love movies and TV shows!

208,704 reviews • 122,388 films • 18,477 TV series