This site exists on your donations. Donate here
Switch theme
About Contact Log in Register!

351,278 users • 208,379 reviews
122,276 films • 18,454 TV series

Drinking - A Love Story by Caroline Knapp. (275 views, 16 replies)

senior master

senior master
Report comment
(1y)

+2

master
Report comment
(1y)

Sounds pretty good! i think i wll give it a try! Thanks boxy!

+3

Hide 6 replies...
Report comment
(1y)

@Adrian∞ It has a good start and it's a subject I am interested in as I gave up the booze four years ago and that was after more than thirty years.

+3

Report comment
(1y)

@..box.. similar situation here, it needed a rehab last year about burnout, drinking and being to old now to live as fast as when 30. it was the last sentence, that hooked me: finding u have a personal, complex "relationship" with substances is the key...

+2

@..box.. 7 years ago after 13 Congrats! or Cheers? 😕🏙 ☠ 🥛 🍻 🍺 🥃 🥤🍷 🍸
😈 🌆😵 🕳 ⚰
(How the city looks to someone w/ one kidney lol)

+3

Report comment
(11mo)

@..box.. I'm going to read this one too. I just hit 14 years in March💋

+2

Report comment
(11mo)

@Teeny💋 Well done Teeny.

+1

Report comment
(10mo)

@..box.. Bravo box😉💋

master

looks like a great book even if one doesn't have a drinking problem, or doesn't want to admit it to one's self. Drinking is what killed my sister. I think if many years ago my Mom and had stepped like I begged her to do. She would still be alive today. She left us when she was only 48 years old. Had been drinking heavily since age 16. The doctors say that a lifetime of drinking and or doing drugs a person rarely makes it past the age of 50. I've watched some very beautiful people die really young do to addiction. Thanks for making this post. It could save some lives. I've been sober for many years now. I quit the drinking in my late 20's.

+4

Hide 5 replies...
Report comment
(11mo)
(edited)

@💛Yellow_rose1💛 I'm so sorry. I live in a drinking g culture, as does England, Ireland, and Poland. Others as well. In France, where I spend a third of my year (and hopefully much more soon), alcohol is part of the culture in a respectable way.

I am not saying that it is addiction free, but it is so much lower there.

It is not treated as taboo in childhood (this does not mean children are encouraged to consume alcohol) it means, it is integrated respectfully, with the knowledge, that it is altering and as that deserves respect and caution.

It's not forbidden in the home of origin to have a bit with a meal.

This demonstrates and teaches discipline.

However, addition is not so simple as a substance.

That substance can be anything at all.

I am sorry for by our loss, my friend.

+1

Report comment
(10mo)

@DontSpeak There should be more public awareness as to how alcohol is so damaging for sure. I was getting drunk with my parents watching the hockey games when I was 14. I gave it up years ago. The thing is most people don't know their liver is in failure until they turn yellow. It is an organ that doesn't' have pain sensories like other organs. I still drink but only on holidays like Christmas etc

Report comment
(10mo)

@💛Yellow_rose1💛 Its crazy when you think of all the people who have died from alcohol one way or the other...cirrhosis, alcohol withdraw, drink driving, etc. But alcohol is legal and smoking pot is still illegal in most states. Something is wrong with that picture 💋

+1

Report comment
(10mo)

@Teeny💋 what you have stated is so true. There are some countries in the Uk that take mobile labs to places where there is heavy drinking and encourage drinkers to do liver functions tests to see where they are at. Every doctor should be doing this on a regular basis whether the patient admits to drinking or not as heavy drinking is often not admitted. It should be a regular test when performing physicals. I'm sure it would save many lives. The liver is a very forgiving organ if the damage hasn't gone into cirrhosis like you stated

+1

Report comment
(10mo)

@💛Yellow_rose1💛 I haven't heard of that but it's brilliant. So many people just don't understand addiction. Believe it or not I'm a really shy person and that is why I started drinking at a young age. It made it so much easier to socialize bc that shyness disappeared after driving a few drinks. It took a lot after I quit, it was like learning to socialize all over again💋

senior master
Report comment
(11mo)

Awesome choice, Box. I didn't start drinking AT ALL until 2022. I just hated the taste. I am going to have a look at this.

Though somewhat more stark and shocking, the classic, "Days of Wine and Roses"
1962, is worth watching.

Thank you.

+1

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(11mo)

@DontSpeak that is a great classic a person of any age would enjoy, great suggestion

+1

Similar forum topics

FEEDBACK

Join 351,278 users who love movies and TV shows!

208,379 reviews • 122,276 films • 18,454 TV series