This site exists on your donations. Donate here
Switch theme
About Contact Log in Register!

351,278 users • 208,800 reviews
122,428 films • 18,484 TV series

David Crosby, Byrds and Crosby, Stills & Nash Co-Founder, Dies at 81 (467 views, 25 replies)

This topic has been closed.

guru
Report comment
(1y)
(edited)

David Crosby, a folk rock pioneer and one of the founding members of The Byrds and Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, has died, his family announced Thursday.

He was 81.

“It is with great sadness after a long illness, that our beloved David (Croz) Crosby has passed away. He was lovingly surrounded by his wife and soulmate Jan and son Django,” the Crosby family said in a statement, obtained by ### through a family spokesperson. “Although he is no longer here with us, his humanity and kind soul will continue to guide and inspire us. His legacy will continue to live on through his legendary music”

+5

senior guru
Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(1y)
(edited)

@CitizenD Sorry to hear about his death but he had an intense, and very opinionated life.

The documentary listed by Don above is very recommended to anyone interested in the singer/songwriter LA music scene from the mid 60s and through the 70s.

A taster ...

For harmonies, CSN&Y were sublime.

+4

senior master
Report comment
(1y)

That's sad, he had an interesting life.
One of my favourites from the Vietnam days:

+3

Hide 5 replies...
Report comment
(1y)

@Buttless Stills looking like a substitute maths teacher that stinks of smoke and rum ;)

+2

Report comment
(1y)

@DemandingFemale smiley smiley DF, I worked security for Bill Graham Presents, and had to deal with Stephen Stills on several occasions. The guy is a total douchebag

+1

Report comment
(1y)

@max_black LOL, that doesn't surprise me.
I had some dealings with part of his online PR team several years ago and they were absolute loons.

We saw him during his 2008 solo tour. Was great to see him but he sure is deaf as a post and sounds like it. Unlike David and Graham who sounded just as they did 40 years ago.

That being said, Stills is my guy. As much as I like the Byrds or The Hollies - Buffalo Springfield is where it's at!

+2

Report comment
(1y)

@DemandingFemale All great bands smiley The story they tell about writing and recording 'Ohio' is amazing

+1

Report comment
(1y)

@DemandingFemale We went to the same maths class?

+3

senior guru
Report comment
(1y)
(edited)

David Crosby – his life in pictures

www.theguardian.com/music/galler...

+3

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(1y)
+1

senior guru
Report comment
(1y)

We went to see Crosby, Stills & Nash during their 2009 tour. Then Crosby & Nash in 2010. C&N sounded absolutely amazing! We got totally blanked by a very grumpy David but had a great conversation with their guitarist Shayne Fontaine.

+3

guru
Report comment
(1y)

The documentary, David Crosby: Remember my Name is available on site for viewing.

+3

Hide 4 replies...
Report comment
(1y)

@DemandingFemale thanks, DF smiley

+1

@DemandingFemale yes thanks from me as well. I'm going to check this out now smiley

+1

@max_black thanks so much for letting me know. I want to see that for sure

+1

master

+3

Hide 3 replies...

@💛Yellow_rose1💛 this is my favorite for sure.

+2

Report comment
(1y)
(edited)

@💛Yellow_rose1💛 Almost Cut my Hair is all Crosby...4 way street is a good listen to hear the harmonies from CSNY live

+1

@max_black I was going to mention the harmonies with CSandN. I would have loved to see them live I bet it was amazing. I probably would have been so overwhelmed with emotion I would have cried like I did when I saw Elton John live in 92'

senior master
Report comment
(1y)

He had a quite unique guitar style, fits so well backing songs and for solos also.
Kept it right to the end... once you have mastered something why change it?

+2

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(1y)

senior guru
Report comment
(1y)

Live At Monterey Pop Festival 1967 Crosby was on stage with Buffalo Springfield. He was fired from The Byrds shortly after. Some say it was for his JFK speech during The Bryds set at Monterey, but they were already pretty irritated with him long before that.

+2

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(1y)

@DemandingFemale Here's a link to 'Monterey Pop

dosmovies.com/full_movie/31/6468...

+1

@DemandingFemale Monterey Pop was a great festival

+1

This topic has been closed.

Similar forum topics

FEEDBACK

Join 351,278 users who love movies and TV shows!

208,800 reviews • 122,428 films • 18,484 TV series