This site exists on your donations. Donate here
Switch theme
About Contact Log in Register!

351,278 users • 209,212 reviews
122,588 films • 18,497 TV series

Antivirus... advice please. (791 views, 20 replies)

This topic has been closed.

senior guru

My Norton is about to expire, and it's going to cost me £60 to renew.

I do know that Norton is very good, I've had no issues on my computer all the time I've had it, but I know there are some free to use antivirus programmes out there.

I could google this, but as the best people to recommend anything are the people who are using it, I am wondering if any of you lovely lot might have anything to suggest.
I have UBlock & ABP and use a VPN (which often flags up dodgy sites), so it needs to be something that's ok with them.

Thanks very much.

+3

admin
Report comment
(5y)

For Windows 10 usually it's not necessary to have any external Antivirus.

+3

master

Agreed, I only use Microsoft Essentials plus Ublock Origin & Ghostery and have never had a problem.

+2

master
Report comment
(5y)

Top 5 Free Open-Source AntiVirus Software for PC

www.technotification.com/2018/04...

+3

God
Report comment
(5y)

360 Total Security.

I completely disagree with not having any antivirus other than Microsoft. It simply isn't a complete diagnostic tool so it misses things.

This software (360 Total Security) saved me several times. I also have Windows 10 and unlike others, I have zero issues with it.

It's excellent and it's free. You don't need anything else again, ever.

+1

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(5y)

@ Except that it's a Chinese product. I don't trust any Chinese or Russian products. The U.S. military even bans Chinese made cell phones for fear of a back door available to the Chinese government.

+1

guru
Report comment
(5y)

i beg to differ , ... microoft security is terrible,nd win 10 whilst collecting /using/sellin your data is worse, Iobit Malware Fighter PRO
found here and on sale
purchase.iobit.com/imf-ac-regist...
at $5 might as well, but theres a free version too
never rely on windows[b]and its built in security
avast antivirus[/b] is also free or next to nothing for pro aswell and i would wiegh both this and IOBIT as prettymuch cream of the crop
let us kno how yu got on smiley smiley

+1

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@🐲footshot I agree about Microsoft security

I use 360 Total Security because it is a composite of many types of virus and malware services that are combined in one piece of software that controls all of them and updates them all for you.

I used to have all the individual ones, but found out (by using it) that 360 did everything I needed.

Report comment
(5y)

@🐲footshot I agree about Microsoft too,i wouldn't trust them with a penny!!they are an illegal monopoly,many computer repairmen hate them,too,for shoddiness.(I have known very severely autistic people,while I liked some,they do not seem to connect to PEOPLE,BUT to "things"easier,and often have very low empathy to other humans.The fact that one is running all of Microsoft,owns it,manages it,and links to "things"much easier than humans doesn't give me a lot of confidence in the company.--or in the management.)

+1

senior guru

Thankyou all.

I will look into all of those mentioned :)

+1

senior guru
Report comment
(5y)

I use Microsoft security as well. Than every so often I run Microsoft Safety Scanner, it will find and fix Malware,viruses,etc. for free. Once you download it, it is only good for 10 days. Than the next time you want to use it, you have to download it again, which is fine,because it does work great! Here is some info about it, if you or anyone is interested in this. I was told about this from my son inlaw (he is a huge techie) lol!
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsof...

senior master
Report comment
(5y)

Win 10 dafault security + malwarebytes is enough if you ask me, no need for external AV. You can find cheap keys for malwarebytes, I got it for €1.19 (g2a) and its still working after 3 months smiley You can find AV much cheaper on sites where they sell cd keys for games smiley I am buying everything here and still didnt had any problems:
www.g2a.com/category/software-an...

Hope there will not be problems because of this link, mods can always remove it smiley

senior master
Report comment
(5y)

Linux and BSD cost 0,00 $. Once one learn how to use them he forgets about viruses, buying buggy software and impossibles updates that make things worst. He gets everything and always free and supported by thousands around the globe. They are not panacea but they make life much easier.

Hide 7 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@Nasos i've scene rigs running Linux and BSD get viruses trogens worms and more

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@IamBlue I won't disagree but I guess I will use windows the day I see the same thing myself too.

Report comment
(5y)

@Nasos Got Win 10 Pro from ebay for $3,26. Got tired of Linux and typing smiley

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@Флеркен Hey crazy man! What u mean typing? U had no graphical desktop environment?

Report comment
(5y)

@Nasos Was using ubuntu 18.04 (i think), ofc i had it. I am too old to learn new things :)

Report comment
(5y)

@Флеркен OK. I don't think I will be able to convince you convert back to open source. Enjoy ur windows 10!

Report comment
(5y)

@Nasos think its enough for me using it on vps hahahhaha

+1

top expert
Report comment
(5y)

I site that i use to check out freeware lists some free AV programs with reviews.
www.techsupportalert.com/best-fr...

Of those free AV programs listed I have used Avast with no problems on my old system.

I now personally use Windows 10 and have Malewarebytes Premium running also. Has worked very well for me.

This topic has been closed.

Similar forum topics

FEEDBACK

Join 351,278 users who love movies and TV shows!

209,212 reviews • 122,588 films • 18,497 TV series