This site exists on your donations. Donate here
Switch theme
About Contact Log in Register!

351,278 users • 208,889 reviews
122,472 films • 18,489 TV series

The Science Box - Bad Science by Ben Goldacre. (242 views, 15 replies)

This topic has been closed.

senior master

senior master
Report comment
(1y)

Extract ...

+4

senior guru
Report comment
(1y)

Thanks, Box! Just downloaded it. I hope I get the time to read it.

+2

Hide 4 replies...
Report comment
(1y)
(edited)

@DemandingFemale Thought we'd kick off the Science Box section with something that has come to prominence for quite a number of years - Bad Science.

We have seen it through the pandemic, Theranos founder Elizabeth Holmes and The opioid epidemic helped by the relentless marketing of OxyContin a la Purdue Pharma.

No surprise that the author's follow up book was Bad Pharma, where he put the $600 billion global pharmaceutical industry under the microscope.

+2

Report comment
(1y)

@..box.. I read some of Bad Pharma about 10 years ago, or so.

I also remember Ben writing a piece for The Atheist's Guide to Christmas.

+1

Report comment
(1y)

@DemandingFemale Sounds right up my street. Ta

Report comment
(1y)

@..box.. 42 authors (Douglas Adams tribute). Different occupations.

Richard Dawkins was heavily involved. Charlie Booker, David Baddiel, Simon Le Bon (Duran Duran), plus lots of science guys wrote a piece. It's a fab read.

+1

master
Report comment
(1y)

I was interested till you mentioned the pandemic. Which just brings me back to all the anti mask and vax people. And... I'm out.

Hide 7 replies...
Report comment
(1y)

@⍟LiviaD34D⍟ Don't worry. This book was written before the word anti-vax was invented (I think) - 2008 - so you are safe.

Report comment
(1y)

@..box.. Pretty sure the term has been around for a while. Maybe just not as widely used. Still had those people who'd rather let their kids die than have them get vaccinated for things.
It just became about Covid when all the conspiracy nutjobs started screaming there were microchips and the government was trying to control them with 5G... and aliens. And whatever else they all came up with. lol smiley smiley

Report comment
(1y)

@⍟LiviaD34D⍟ You are right regarding the anti-vaccine term. I was thinking of it in relation to COVID19.

But of course there has been opposition since the smallpox vaccine way, way back in the day.

And I am sure there will be the same outcry when they turn against a vaccine for HIV or Malaria or Tuberculosis (TB).

Report comment
(1y)

@..box.. There has been a TB vaccine since the 1920s. Didn't you ever get the awful antibody prick test as a kid with/without a BCG? I still have a scar.

+1

Report comment
(1y)
(edited)

@DemandingFemale I remember that. lol
Don't think I had a bad reaction, though. Or a scar.

+1

Report comment
(1y)

@DemandingFemale Although I didn't develop a scar, I think all the kids got the vaccine BUT apparently it only protects young children. This is from WHO ...

I didn't realise it was such a big problem and apparently the vaccine is not widely used in the United States due to the low risk of infection.

Report comment
(1y)

@..box.. I'm sure they will freak out over one for HIV. I mean, one of the ones they have in development is an MRNA vaccine, and may have been what led them to the Covid one so quickly.
The crazies will hear MRNA and go nuts.

+2

senior master
Report comment
(1y)

We are talking for really a lot of money. Only state prosecutors and law dpts in every state institution can help, if they decide το get their hands dirty. Pseudoscience is not profiting only from paramedical and parapharmacy. There is also para-agricultural, para-veterinary, para- etc pseudoscience products with millions profit. The book, sadly, won't help.

This topic has been closed.

Similar forum topics

FEEDBACK

Join 351,278 users who love movies and TV shows!

208,889 reviews • 122,472 films • 18,489 TV series