This site exists on your donations. Donate here
Switch theme
About Contact Log in Register!

351,278 users • 208,699 reviews
122,388 films • 18,477 TV series

What happened to Duckduckgo? (331 views, 9 replies)

This topic has been closed.

senior master
Report comment
(1y)

I liked Duckduckgo, they started with promises of privacy and no censorship but suddenly that changed.

+1

senior master
Report comment
(1y)

Anyone tried Brave?

+1

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(1y)

@Buttless DDG is just Bing without most trackers included (except that m-soft makes DDG leave their trackers intact)

Report comment
(1y)

@Buttless I've been using Brave browser for over a year now. The search is okay, and it gives you the option to switch to google search.

senior guru
Report comment
(1y)

Google bought them out, along with all your private info, that they said they'd never do. Guess they all have a price.

+2

senior master
Report comment
(1y)
(edited)

Brave is okay. We use it, but not as a 1st choice.

After spending a lot of time looking for replacements for DDG a year ago, We found & use

Metager.org, Mojeek, EntireWeb, Giburu, Gigblast, Disconnect.me & Swisscows. There are others, believe me we took them all for a spin, but the ones listed are those that served our purposes best. There's a lot to choose from, even some that are very specific, such as boardreader that only searches forums - which is handy.

We still use DDG for certain things, but only as a backup.

This is a good article:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Search_eng...

+2

expert
Report comment
(1y)

Just came across this one--
astiango.com/

Here's a write-up on it-- (it works on other browsers too)
news.itsfoss.com/midori-astiango...

+1

senior master
Report comment
(1y)

They all steal data to one degree or another. I currently use Ecosia the most. cariki.co.uk/blogs/the-green-roa...

I always suspected DDG; it gave me too many hits without me asking.

I don't think there is an effective search engine that does track in some way.

There are a lot more than you'd think, however.

senior master
Report comment
(1y)

Many things changed in yandex too after the war. Not sure he done good research on that before recommending. Apart from results for pages the services do other functions too. Lots of mail blocked services also after the war around the Globe. Got easier setups and navigation yandex IMHO but this also changes in various services. Buttless I 'd care more about other things like dns,vpn,OS security, router security, smart phone security, mail services and much more than the browsers. I think we lost the war since Altavista became Netflix or earlier perhaps - the last was a joke of some kind, if someone tries to get what I mean

+1

skilled
Report comment
(1y)

Thank you Buttless for bringing this to my attention.

+1

This topic has been closed.

Similar forum topics

FEEDBACK

Join 351,278 users who love movies and TV shows!

208,699 reviews • 122,388 films • 18,477 TV series