This site exists on your donations. Donate here
Switch theme
About Contact Log in Register!

351,278 users • 208,391 reviews
122,276 films • 18,454 TV series

More evidence that the polar bears are in Jeopardy (189 views, 23 replies)

This topic has been closed.

master

+2

master

I become so sad when I see desperate starving wild animals

+1

Hide 4 replies...
Report comment
(1y)

@💛Yellow_rose1💛 They need ice flows to hunt and survive.

Don't worry though, they are already migrating and mating with Grizzly bears. There will most likely be an evolution toward a new species that can survive on land in warmer climates. Apparently the 1/2 Polar/Grizzly bears are fertile, as well.

It's humans that should be the most worried. And not about the bears.

[Although the melting of the polar ice caps and pollution in the oceans is beyond soul numbing.)

+2

@DontSpeak I so agree with your last statement, The Pacific garbage patch etc. It is terrible. Sometimes I feel as though we don't deserve this planet. Nobody is doing enough to solve the problem or I guess at this point it is unsolvable

+2

Report comment
(1y)

@💛Yellow_rose1💛 we need to be kinder to mother nature

+1

@tyetoes my thoughts exactly💗

+1

senior master
Report comment
(1y)

This is an interesting article from the Sierra Club in 2021.

www.sierraclub.org/sierra/meet-p...

+2

Hide 4 replies...

@DontSpeak Wow. I have never heard about this. This is happening in the wild? Amazing how nature does what it can to save a species

+1

Report comment
(1y)

@💛Yellow_rose1💛 Yes, it is. There are sightings, mainly by hunters and people who live off the grid. It's not just the hybrids, some are actually seeing Polar bears. There is ancient DNA evidence to suggest something similar to this happened during another period of extreme climate change. They used mitochondrial DNA come to this hypothesis.

+1

@DontSpeak Incredible. You my dear are a wealth of knowledge. I'm grateful for the information and the link. It's so very interesting. Thanks

+1

Report comment
(1y)

@DontSpeak I hadn't heard of this,either.Thank you.great info.

+1

senior guru
Report comment
(1y)
(edited)

Found this article once at The Guardian - sad occasion, great photos!

www.theguardian.com/world/2022/j...

+2

Hide 4 replies...

@CitizenD thanks for the info. and the beautiful photo

+2

Report comment
(1y)

@CitizenD thank you.so amazing

+1

Report comment
(1y)

@tyetoes glad you like it. smiley

+1

Report comment
(1y)
+1

senior master
Report comment
(1y)

Here is a live stream of the same series of pictures by Dmitry Kokh that CitizenD has posted.

www.designboom.com/art/dmitry-ko...

Apparently it's an isolated and abandoned island weather station. He captured the pictures at the end of 2021 and was hoping to bring some lightening of the mood surrounding the predicament the Polar Bears are in.

Thanks for the info @CitizenD.

+3

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(1y)

@DontSpeak Thanx

+1

skilled
Report comment
(1y)

Polar bears are easily deterrable but if you don't they always go for you, without exception. The only predator that does. They've learned to do that because they need a lot of calories and food is scarce.

+1

Hide 3 replies...

@Muspeljotn yes indeed they weigh about 800lbs. I watch a show that was showing them living off sea gulls! They would have to kill tons of sea gulls to get the caloric intake they need. So sad

Report comment
(1y)
(edited)

@💛Yellow_rose1💛 They are really impressive, maintaining that in that climate. Well, that might change now, but not because of lack of ability. I saw one swim once, with jaw-dropping grace and speed. Put a primal fear in me too.

+1

@Muspeljotn I'm sure that must have been a very confronting experience

senior guru
Report comment
(1y)

+2

Hide 1 reply...

@SimonM wow so cool thanks Simon. It was very heartwarming. If only humans could get along this well

+1

This topic has been closed.

Similar forum topics

FEEDBACK

Join 351,278 users who love movies and TV shows!

208,391 reviews • 122,276 films • 18,454 TV series